Heater Mats/pads V Heater Belts - Advice Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootadog

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I've just started brewing this past year and really enjoying it. I read this forum everyday and learn lots.
The reason for my post is that I wanted to get some advice on heater mats/pads v heater belt. I was looking at getting one for my fermenter to do some ales when the weather is cool and to keep it at a constant temp. Unfortunately I do not have a spare fridge to keep the fermenter in. I am just not sure which option would be best.

Many thanks, Scott.

I use a heater pad from a water bed..has a dial for temp and found at the coolest setting it has the fermenter sitting at 20oC..

$30 from ebay!!

I have two heat belts, however I do not "set and forget" as they have a tendency to get up to around 25 deg or so.
Add a fridgemate temp controller to it and you have a great heat system for your ales during the winter months! :)

On the weekend I was in K Mart and saw a lone brew belt on the shelf. It had a $10 sticker on it but it scanned at only $2 through the checkout. I don't know what went on but the brewbelt has come in handy of a night time maintaining my latest brew temperature in the early twenties while the air temp has gone down to the early teens. I turn it off during the day as the air temp is in the early twenties at the moment.

Damian

I use an old single bed electric blanket set on two wraped around the fermenter with a MM fridgemate
it's just set and forget

I have just discovered the shelf above my hot water heater. the cupboard keeps a constant 15-16 degrees (which is high for canberra winter) and with yeast action it normally ferments at 18-19.

I have a heating pad on its edge between 2 fermenters in my shed. They are sitting on a double thickness of cardboard to insulate them from the concrete floor and then wrapped in a sleeping bag. Humming along at 18C with night time temps down to 3-4C. I usually turn the pad on 4 hours in the evening.

Latest posts

Back