Heat Panel?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerDave

Reaction score
Has anyone used a Heat Panel such as http://www.quickheat.net/homebrew.htm ?
esbeer.com.au has it for sale and theres a few on eBay. Would this be a good way to keep my fermenter warm or is there a better way to go about doing it?

Sorry if this is an ultra-noob question...

There's no such thing as a stupid question, Dave, only stupid answers...

The big question is probably why you think you need one? Do a search on this forum for temperature control and fermenting temperatures and have a bit of a read.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, Dave, only stupid answers...

The big question is probably why you think you need one? Do a search on this forum for temperature control and fermenting temperatures and have a bit of a read.

The temperature in the area i'll be keeping my fermenter is just below 24 Celsius at the moment. I'm not sure how cool it would get overnight, but I'm thinking it might be below optimal fermenting temperature.
This will be my first brew and i will be using a Coopers Micro Brew Kit, possibly not using the Lager kit :).

The temperature in the area i'll be keeping my fermenter is just below 24 Celsius at the moment.

You dont need a heat pad. Beer using Ale yeasts are best brewed around 18. Beer using Lager yeasts are best brewed around 12.
Cheers
Steve

Now I'm beginning to wonder if this kit is the right way to go... :p

nah the kit will be fine aswell as the initial instructions in the manual but not the instructions about fermentation temps.

The kit is fine, Dave, the instructions aren't so good is all.

There's a fella I know who own's a brewshop and I couldn't count on my fingers how many people I have seen come in looking to get into Home Brewing. He always gives them this bit of advice first..

There are 4 key things to brewing a decent beer;

1. Good Quality Ingredients
2. Sanitation
3. Temperature control
4. Patience

Plenty of people brew a decent drop the K&K way with a coopers kit. I used to brew the Coopers lager kit years ago with a few tweaks here and there.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if this kit is the right way to go... :p

Its a good place to start. The greater majority of the thousands of AHB members started with a tin of goo (and probably Coopers)

Its the learning you want from this brew. Steve is a bit over zealous, brew your beer using the manual BUT ignore the 21C -27C optimal brewing temperature advice. Your beer will ferment okay at these temps but will taste a little different (in our opinion) worse than if you ferment at around 18C -20C. The difference in flavour between the same Coopers kit brewed at 18C and 27C is large and you'll enjoy the cooler temp beer. It may take a few days longer to ferment, but it will be worth it.

Then read all the threads here on AHB and any other beer sites. Your knowledge why you brew as you do will increase. In twelve months you'll be telling the next noobies what to do.

Its a good place to start. The greater majority of the thousands of AHB members started with a tin of goo (and probably Coopers)

Its the learning you want from this brew. Steve is a bit over zealous, brew your beer using the manual BUT ignore the 21C -27C optimal brewing temperature advice. Your beer will ferment okay at these temps but will taste a little different (in our opinion) worse than if you ferment at around 18C -20C. The difference in flavour between the same Coopers kit brewed at 18C and 27C is large and you'll enjoy the cooler temp beer. It may take a few days longer to ferment, but it will be worth it.

Then read all the threads here on AHB and any other beer sites. Your knowledge why you brew as you do will increase. In twelve months you'll be telling the next noobies what to do.

Cool. In regards to temperature, would I be correct in assuming I should start the fermenting at 21C-27C to get the yeast started?

Hi dave

The yeast will be fine at 18-20C it will probebly start as low as 16(It will just take longer and taste margenaly better). Cooler is better but realy this time of the year room temp will be fine. My local homebrew shop has a fermenter going in the front of his shop at room temp and his beer tastes fine.

hanzie

Back