Heady Topper!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to make some changes bc I could not get some of the hops. Here's the one I made:

I used the Conan Giga yeast (beerco) and added 2 x tsp Calcium Sulphate (Gypsum), 2 x tsp Calcium Chloride bc my water needed it.

Current Best Clone (modified to suit Aus)
Batch Size: 19L
Boil Size: 24.5L

5.1 kg Pearl Malt - UK (84.9%)- SRM 2.4
340 grams Caramalt (Thomas Fawcett) (5.7%) - SRM 17
340 grams Wheat, Torrified (Thomas Fawcett)
227 grams Table Sugar - Sucrose - US - Added at flameout.

Mash at 65.5 degrees for 60 minutes.
Boil Time: 90 min

170.10 grams – Simcoe
42.54 grams – Apollo (Warrior)
85.05 grams – Columbus (Crosby Experimental #6 Hop Pellets 80g)
42.53 grams – Centennial
56.70 grams – Amarillo (Used Citra in dry hop)

7.50 ml ** * Hopshot (Isohop bottle from GnG)- Boil 90.0 min- 117.8 IBUs

28.35 grams *** Simcoe[13.00 %] Boil 5.0 min-8.3 IBUs
14.18 grams *** Apollo (Warrior)- Boil 5.0 min -4.0 IBUs

56.70 grams *** Simcoe [13.00 %] Boil 0.0 min -0.0 IBUs
28.35 grams *** Columbus [14.00 %] Boil 0.0 min -0.0 IBUs

28.35 grams *** Simcoe [13.00 %] Aroma Steep 30.0 min-0.0 IBUs
28.35 grams *** Columbus (Crosby) [14.00 %] Aroma Steep 30.0 min-0.0 IBUs
28.35 grams *** Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] Aroma Steep 30.0 min-0.0 IBUs
14.18 grams *** Centennial [10.50 %] Aroma Steep 30.0 min- 0.0 IBUs
14.18 grams *** Apollo (Warrior) [12.50 %] Aroma Steep 30.0 min- 0.0 IBUs

56.70 grams *** Simcoe [13.00 %] Dry Hop 8.0 Days -0.0 IBUs
28.35 grams *** Columbus (Crosby or tomahawk) [14.00 %] Dry Hop 8.0 Days-0.0 IBUs
28.35 grams *** Amarillo Gold (Citra) [8.50 %] Dry Hop 8.0 Days-0.0 IBUs
28.35 grams *** Centennial [10.50 %] Dry Hop 8.0 Days-0.0 IBUs
14.18 grams *** Apollo (Warrior) [17.00 %] Dry Hop 8.0 Days-0.0 IBUs

Split dry hop in half and add half on day 14 and day 21. Carb on day 25.

[SIZE=10pt]Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.073 SG** *Measured Original Gravity: 1.073 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG** *Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.8 %** *Actual Alcohol by Vol: 8.5 %
Bitterness: 130.7 IBUs** *Calories: 249.4 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 6.4 SRM
[/SIZE]

missed my opportunity to brew this last week so hopefully tomorrow is the day.

doing 65L of it, fermenting 40L as is at 1.073, and watering down the other 25L into a 40L approx 40IBU, 1.045 OG session batch. Unsure how I will treat the dry hops in the session batch, thinking it may not need any.

The keg in brewed is gone. Craziness had friends randomly stopping by to drink it. The second is already fermenting away at 25l this time.
With the session batch you are cooking, I'd hit it with 80 grams of Idaho 7. You won't be disappointed. It's amazing.

Agreed. Made one for an intra-club DIPA competition and it is damn tasty.

Go the 'Conan' yeast. You wont be disappointed.

pirateagenda said:
missed my opportunity to brew this last week so hopefully tomorrow is the day.

doing 65L of it, fermenting 40L as is at 1.073, and watering down the other 25L into a 40L approx 40IBU, 1.045 OG session batch. Unsure how I will treat the dry hops in the session batch, thinking it may not need any.
How does the hop bill come in for a batch this size?

pcqypcqy said:
How does the hop bill come in for a batch this size?
712g for the boil and stand additons for the full 65L plus dry hop for the 40L.

Haven't made any allowance for dry hop for the session batch, but will probably add 70g of citra that I have leftover, so..... just under 800g all up.

On its 3rd day of ferment and the fermenting fridge smells so good from the gas seeping out of the spunding valve... and haven't even put the first lot of dry hops in yet.

The diluted batch I dry hopped on the 2nd day, as I want it ready a little faster and don't mind if it looses a little aroma.

Pirate, from my understanding one of the key components of brewing a NEIPA is to dry hop real early. Contrary to what we've always been told!

Hey OneEye, can you point me on the direction of this thinking? My research says to dry hop at 14 days then 21 days. Then carb on day 25. That's for Heady Topper anyways. Cheers

Just have a google of 'hop biotransformation' or something of that nature and you'll get a few things to read through. Although i don't think it's specific to Heady Topper. Just seems to be a part of the NEIPA conversation

Had a sample of the second batch when checking FG. Really nice and can't tell the difference btw the yeasts. Pretty much identical, juicy - nice a touch of sweetness, great bitter profile, can't wait to taste after the dry hopping. I think she might be done at 1.012.
The Wyeast is dropping out much better than the Conan though which is interesting.

I brewed this yesterday and had a nightmare of a time. Silly mistakes that ultimately ended in a blocked plate chiller. Ended up running off into the fermenter at about 70C and then just waited overnight to pitch the yeast. Last bloody time I use that chiller, counter flow chiller has jumped to the top of my shopping list! Fingers crossed it still comes out ok. It's not a cheap beer to make. Apart from the chiller woes I managed to hit all my numbers so time will tell if the yeast can do the rest of the work for me.

Mine has fermented out a tad further than expected finishing up at 8.6% !! 2nd dry hop has been added on tuesday, already 3/4 carbed from pressure ferment. kegging next week!

I find it hard to believe you would distinguish any subtle "biotransformation" going on with 500 grams of hops. I think there possibly a lot of bullshit mixed in with a pretty good DIPA recipe.

Tapped this on friday night! woooaaahhh.... delicious beer but definitely dangerously drinkable at 8.6%. Was feeling rather slow yesterday.
The session batch made from watering down the strong one pre ferment came out really good also, and a 50-50 mix of the 2 in a schooner to create a 6.5ish% IPA was really tasty also.

Look what I got in the fridge boys!!!
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1504340400.068566.jpg

I to have a bottle of sweet baby rays buffalo sauce. Its nothing on franks and tastes a trad artificial.

Hey OneEye, can you point me on the direction of this thinking? My research says to dry hop at 14 days then 21 days. Then carb on day 25. That's for Heady Topper anyways. Cheers

Somewhere in this hour of Story time / Q&A he says he never dry hops for longer than 4-5 days or you get the grassy notes.

Back