Having A Break On A Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am halfway through the mash of an okky. I was hoping to go to the gym today, but I don't think I will be motivated enough once I have finished the brewday. I want to have a beer once I start chilling, but then I won't be able to go to the gym...

Could I finish sparging, bring the wort to the boil, then turn off and go to the gym for an hour or so and then come back and finish off the brewday?

Or should I just finish the brewday then go to the gym?

Cheers
Phil

Or should I just finish the brewday then go to the gym?

Finish the brewday and dont goto the gym! :icon_cheers: Cant you go for a run around the block whilst you are doing the boil? I wouldnt expect you where doing a complex hop schedule with an okky!

Nah, I need to go to the gym. For some reason ever since I started brewing beer, I have put on weight...strange.

get blind and have a mix instead...its what they would want.

and i mean a mix on his turntables you gutter minded brewers. lolrugs.

Crush another batch using the hand driven mill mate - gym workout complete and another batch can be mashed in! :icon_cheers:

I am sure you could leave the wort in the kettle after turning it off. It should not cool down too much by the time you return - as you are pitching the yeast once cooled it wont present as issue.

Nah, I need to go to the gym. For some reason ever since I started brewing beer, I have put on weight...strange.

This my good people will become a quote that our grandchildren will quote to their grandchildren....! :D

pretty unsympathetic lot arnt we phillip.

Manticle's Brew Fitness Workout:

-As mentioned - hand crank grain for another brew (preferably an RIS or Barleywine).
-Make sure you lift (carefully and properly) as many full fermenters and full kettles as you can. Hoist some 25 kg sacks around if you have some.
-Make sure you forget a few things so you have to run around a lot inside the house, outside, to the shed etc.
-Run out of gas so you have to quickly hoppit to the local servo then carry back the full tank of gas.
-To tone up, get a stuck sparge and scoop out grain from the tun into another vessel, 2 kilos at a time
-For extra iron stomach kung fu points: Spill boiling mash out water on your stomach while lifting a 10 L vessel off the stove. Grit your teeth and flex your stomach while carrying the pot which has hot handles (yes forget the teatowel too) out the back door while avoiding the two cats that are trying to ask for extra breakfast/lunch/dinner/cuddles because you would never forgive yourself if you dropped a stainless steel vessel with 10L of boiling water on a little, tiny, affectionate cat now would you?*

*Any cat haters may replicate this part of the workout by using puppies, guinea pigs, small children, elderly relatives or spouses in their place. Failing any of those (misanthropic bastards) just substitute your own feet.

Phil - if you are close to the gym and your workout is reasonable time then I'd just mash out, put it into a cube and seal it (a la no chill) then go do wahtever you have to do.
Come home, tap from cube to kettle and boil as per normal.

get blind and have a mix instead...its what they would want.

As soon as I finish the clean up it's a bottle of barrel aged beer geek breakfast, a spot, then onto the decks for some bouncing dubstep!

Just about bringing this okky to the boil. Will let in get rolling for about 5 mins, then flameout - [homer] gym [/homer] then back for an 80 minute boil. Should only be left unattended for an hour tops.

Thanks for the support!
Cheers
Phil

During the boil I often walk out to the post box to check the mail.

gotta love hot knives.

That's the way I roll...the art was handed down to me by a Russian...who lived on NZ for a year :lol:

was so happy my new house is gas...didn't want to have to use the Italian spiral.

During the boil I often walk out to the post box to check the mail.

I find by moving my brew rig to the opposite end of the shed to my keg fridge I get all the exercise I need :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back