Have The Ingredients And No Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morebeer4me

Reaction score
Can someone help with some instructions , a mate has rocked up with a bag of goodies from lhbs.He would like me to make him a James squire amber ale, as this is my fourth brew i said WTF. He assumed I was an expert in brewing now, we discussed this over a few blondes (brew no.1). Anyway back to the question I have in the bag the following1 x tin Muntons Blonde1 x tin coopers malt extract500 grams of corn syrup powder1x packet of hops (cluster)And some good yeast (Safale)
Do I need to boil extract or just pour it all in the tub, pitch the yeast at 22and then toss in the hops ?

Man all those tins of extract and some sugar....yuck. I'd look on the recipe database for similar extracts, get some steeping spec malts and some fresh hops then make a nice beer. I got that book "the complete joy of homebrewing" and it has some great extract recipes in it. Not promoting the book but it does have heaps of good recipes and explains everything really clearly for begginers through to all grain.
:icon_cheers:

Look up Dr smurtos golden ale kit version. I have done this one 4 times now out of 13 brews and it a cracker. Had a bloke try some on the weekend and he couldn't believe it was a kitnbits.

Man all those tins of extract and some sugar....yuck. I'd look on the recipe database for similar extracts, get some steeping spec malts and some fresh hops then make a nice beer. I got that book "the complete joy of homebrewing" and it has some great extract recipes in it. Not promoting the book but it does have heaps of good recipes and explains everything really clearly for begginers through to all grain.
Thanks gav80, had a look on database, but honestly I got lost with the instructions, I realise I have a lot to learn and thanks for the heads up on the book.

Look up Dr smurtos golden ale kit version. I have done this one 4 times now out of 13 brews and it a cracker. Had a bloke try some on the weekend and he couldn't believe it was a kitnbits.

Thanks Jameson, will try in the future

I haven't seen the Smurto kit version but there are heaps of people on here that would be happy to explain what u need to know. I'll have a look and try to explain it in normal speak.
Cheers

I haven't seen the Smurto kit version but there are heaps of people on here that would be happy to explain what u need to know. I'll have a look and try to explain it in normal speak.
Cheers
Thanks Gav80,

Turns out mate purchased the items from brewcraft, I will ring tommorow and ask for instructions. My third brew was a little critters from LHBS, and they printed out some
directions, eassy to follow and quite painless.

What part of the instructions do you need help with?

Fire away with questions, but also have a look in the articles section above. There's good tips for beginners there.
Check out the steeping grains section as a couple hundred grams of crystal grain or similar would be good in an amber.
If you've got a coffee plunger, you're set to go with steeping grains. It's a great way of lifting the flavour of a kit.

Haven't used cluster, Willamette went in my amber in my kit days.

What part of the instructions do you need help with?

Fire away with questions, but also have a look in the articles section above. There's good tips for beginners there.
Check out the steeping grains section as a couple hundred grams of crystal grain or similar would be good in an amber.
If you've got a coffee plunger, you're set to go with steeping grains. It's a great way of lifting the flavour of a kit.

Haven't used cluster, Willamette went in my amber in my kit days.
Hi petesbrew, I was wondering if I just add all the ingredients and put in fermenter, stir in water to 23 liters, pitch yeast and pop in finishing hop bag ?
Or do I need to boil the malt extract ?
I will go to articles section and have a look
Thanks

Hi petesbrew, I was wondering if I just add all the ingredients and put in fermenter, stir in water to 23 liters, pitch yeast and pop in finishing hop bag ?
Or do I need to boil the malt extract ?
I will go to articles section and have a look
Thanks
No you don't need to boil the malt extract. Wack it all in as usual.
When you dump in the extract tin, pPut some boiled water in the tin, pop the hopbag in there, and let it sit in the syrupy water for about 10min. Then dump it all into the fermenter and fill as usual. It'll get a bit more flavour out of the hopbag.
have fun.

No you don't need to boil the malt extract. Wack it all in as usual.
When you dump in the extract tin, pPut some boiled water in the tin, pop the hopbag in there, and let it sit in the syrupy water for about 10min. Then dump it all into the fermenter and fill as usual. It'll get a bit more flavour out of the hopbag.
have fun.

Thanks mate and all ready having a ball, I just keep looking at brew 2 and 3 sitting on the shelf trying to get older, can't wait to crack them open

+1 for that book (it's by Charlie Papazian BTW). Lots of info, lots of recipes. Also lots of american ingredients & kits, but just look for a similar kit and it'll be fine.
Get it off Bookdepository.co.uk... are they still free delivery?

Back