Have I Killed My Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXXX Brewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just spent all of yesterday making my very first AG brew (listed my expirence below). I have just pitched my yeast but tried to re-hydrate using water that had only cooled down to 60dC. I realised what I had done about 5min later and decided to pitch it straight away in the hope that I hadn't killed off all the yeast and cool down the slurry. I know I'm going to have some lag time but do you think I might have killed the yeast (craftbrewer english ale).

Anyway here's how my first AG brew went.

I must say when I read Airlocked article which spoke about everyone doing something wrong the first time and not to expect it to be perfect, I think like most other people thought I was different.....not me I have planned my method exactly nothing will go wrong.....boy was I wrong.

Firstly I'll run through my set up. I have spent about 6 weeks trying to get all the gear together. I have two Stainless kegs (from an English Brewer not stolen). One is my kettle and the other my mash tun. I had a three ring urner as a heating device until I discovered while doing a dry run on thursday that it took over an hour to get the kegs to boil even with a starting temp of 60dC. So I went out yesterday and bought a Rambo Burner. Everything works on gravity so no pumps. My biggest mistake was going cheap on the false bottom. My mash tun already came with a outlet at the bottom of the keg (right in the centre) so I though it would be easy to use a splatter guard (stainless steel mesh disc with a handle) from the kitchen and take off the handle.

Anyway everything was going great I had heated my water transferred to the mash tun and doughed in my grains. The ph was perfect so I let it rest for 60min. The trouble came when I went to sparge. Of course the grains had snuck under the spalter guard had clogged the outlet so absolutley no wort was coming out. I made several frustrated attempts at unblockiing it but to no avail. So faced with the prospect of wasting the entire days worth of work I decided to pull out the guard and use it as a sieve to collect the wort. I scoped out the entire contents of the keg through the sieve and into a bucket. Then added the rest of my sparge water and did it again.....I suppose it was almost like batch sparging. Needless to say my efficency was shocking aroung 65% and I wouldn't be supprised to get some astringincy.

The boil went without incident and so I chilled the wort and put it in the fridge overnight ready to pitch today. I just hope the yeast will be fine.

All in all it was a trying day but it was fun. Loads of things I learnt and things I need to learn. I will definatly be back in a couple weeks with another go.

Thanks to Ross witht he help over the phone.

Cheers.

Probably have killed it.

Get some fresh yeast ready to pitch tomorrow if you have no activity. There's still a good chance you can salvage your brew.

Mick

Latest posts

Back