Have I Got An Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

base2aau

Reaction score
I tried the "upside down shot glass" method instead of the a air lock. I am not sure why, it just seemed like the thing to do.

I noticed that one of the kids had moved the shot glass a couple of weeks ago. and the airlock hole was left uncovered for half a day of so.

and today when I went to keg up my brew I noticed this white scum on the top.

So I am not sure if this is a sign of infection.

The brew tastes pretty dam good so I am reluctant to throw it in the garden.

BTW the brew is
Coopers old English
with 1 kg of light dry malt
and some recycled SO4. ( I had a yeast cake from a previous brew in the fridge)

What do you think?

p8094733__Modified_in_GIMP_Image_Editor_.jpg

if the glass was moved after fermentation had started, there would be a blanket of CO2 in the fermenter - so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

if it tastes fine, then I don't think you have an infection.

More likely to get an infection from recycling a yeast than using a shotty. Many other things that could cuase it. Looks nasty in the photo but its not always prtetty at the top of the fermenter. keg it and see how she goes after a week.

Brad

If one of your kids moved the shotty, what else did he/she do?

The liquid patches on top don't look too pretty, but if it's smelling and tasting OK, get it in the keg ASAP and keep it cold and it shouldn't get much worse if it is an infection. It looks like it could be acetobacter (creates vinegar).

:icon_cheers:

If it tastes OK, drink it.

If it turns to vinegar, put it on ya fish and chips.

But it won't kill you, either way.

cheers

BB

Yes it was wax and it had like large bubbles. the layer covered the whole fermenter, but i had a little peak through the fermenter hole last Saturday (2 week fermentation) and I did not see anything so I assume the infection is quite recent.

Actually I just remembered something really silly i did and I will probably get banned from the forums for admitting this. I mentioned I used recycled yeast, I forgot I had to through out the brew that this yeast came from because it was covered in this infection and tasted terrible, I forgoty about this when I grabbed the yeast from the fridge. Well at least I saved $3 by not haveing to buy a new packet of S04.

You just recycled your infection :)

Yes it was wax and it had like large bubbles. the layer covered the whole fermenter, but i had a little peak through the fermenter hole last Saturday (2 week fermentation) and I did not see anything so I assume the infection is quite recent.

Actually I just remembered something really silly i did and I will probably get banned from the forums for admitting this. I mentioned I used recycled yeast, I forgot I had to through out the brew that this yeast came from because it was covered in this infection and tasted terrible, I forgoty about this when I grabbed the yeast from the fridge. Well at least I saved $3 by not haveing to buy a new packet of S04.

While I know that reusing yeast can be one way of saving money (especially if you are using liquid yeasts), making mistakes like this for the sake of a couple of dollars is crazy given the amount of time, effort and other money that goes into a brew. Unfortunately I'm not holding out much hope for your brew base2aau. If I had my choice, I'd quite happily fork out for the new pack of dry yeast rather than be stressing about an infection from a dodgy, re-used yeast...

While I know that reusing yeast can be one way of saving money (especially if you are using liquid yeasts), making mistakes like this for the sake of a couple of dollars is crazy given the amount of time, effort and other money that goes into a brew. Unfortunately I'm not holding out much hope for your brew base2aau. If I had my choice, I'd quite happily fork out for the new pack of dry yeast rather than be stressing about an infection from a dodgy, re-used yeast...

Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing :)

:icon_cheers:

If it tastes OK, drink it.

If it turns to vinegar, put it on ya fish and chips.

But it won't kill you, either way.

cheers

BB

EXACTLY!

IF it is acetobacter (as the other members pointed out- it looks like it) and there is no damage done yet to the flavour and you bottle it, and IF the in bottle fermentation goes well, the anaerobic (no oxygen) conditions will make it very difficult for the acetobacter to grow. Good luck

I've got the same infection as well. So far it tastes okay but is it really worthwhile bottling now or should I just dump the whole lot?

I reckon if it tastes fine now then bottle it and get it ready to drink asap, before it does go down hill.

I mentioned I used recycled yeast, I forgot I had to throw out the brew that this yeast came from because it was covered in this infection and tasted terrible, I forgoty about this when I grabbed the yeast from the fridge. Well at least I saved $3 by not haveing to buy a new packet of S04.

I had a bad brew from using recycled S04, it was kegged, had a bit of a taste to
it, but I managed to drink the lot.

I also bottled a couple of tallies from the same batch, and after 2 months it was
absolutely foul. :icon_vomit:

cheers
BB

I wouldnt be putting that anywhere near a bottle. It'd be straight in the compost bin.
Cheers
Steve

I wouldnt be putting that anywhere near a bottle. It'd be straight in the compost bin.
Cheers
Steve
Yeah that's my thoughts too. The only thing that has me sort of wondering is that most of the fermentation was finished before the infection took hold. I think I'll still bottle a few for experimentation's sake and dump the rest.

Ask your doctor about a yeast infection :)

Touch wood I havent had any infection woes.

Back