Have I Cracked It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

govorko1974

Reaction score
Hello all...thought id share my moment of glory..have a wife who isnt much of a beer drinker but has a glass when i have one...before homebrewing she used to try new beers i bought and complain about alot...what wife doesnt complain...after starting homebrew she would sit down with me and taste each new brew...and as you guessed alot of complaining and the comment" it taste like shit"...she has just tried my 4th brew ( 1st using a fridgemate) and told me " thats not bad"...." best one your've made"...so am feeling rather chuffed with myself at the mo... to all new brewers out there...if you want to make your brew better , read thru this web site... and invest in a fridgemate...
Cheers for all the advice i have read on here
Matt

Hello all...thought id share my moment of glory..have a wife who isnt much of a beer drinker but has a glass when i have one...before homebrewing she used to try new beers i bought and complain about alot...what wife doesnt complain...after starting homebrew she would sit down with me and taste each new brew...and as you guessed alot of complaining and the comment" it taste like shit"...she has just tried my 4th brew ( 1st using a fridgemate) and told me " thats not bad"...." best one your've made"...so am feeling rather chuffed with myself at the mo... to all new brewers out there...if you want to make your brew better , read thru this web site... and invest in a fridgemate...
Cheers for all the advice i have read on here
Matt

Well done Matt!
SWMBO loves my brew as well...my advice to you is don't make it too good or she will drink too much of it :lol:
Mine loves my brew, and we often share a schooner from the keg, and in her words it is the "most deliscious beer" she has ever had, and the commercial stuff tastes like "Cats Piss" in comparison.

Brew 4 is just the beginning, take your time and have a good look through this site and your next few brews will knock her socks off!

Bubba

Well done mate. keep slugging along. It only gets better.

i gotta agree its a good feeling when your mates keep lining up to pour another one or is it just that free beer always tastes good? :icon_drunk:

Careful...
I have a mate who's missus decided to give surfing a go.

Now she wants to go with him all the time....

Quote:

'Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.' Wilhelm Kaiser

Well done on your triumph. It is not easy trying to get a positive comment from a creature that is obsessed with complaining...

However, one must be careful not to make it too good or there will be none left for you, and if you like it and no-one else does, who cares?

Awsome news......... your on the right path.

Read, learn, experiment, fail now and then but learn from it, share experiences and always try and improve on the last batch!

NEVER..... think, thats great.... i will stick with that.

Fortune favours the bold my friend!

My mum has never liked beer. She has never drank a whole glass of beer. She states its because it "tastes like beer"

Even award winning brews of mine.......... nope...... its beer. But one day i have an awsome Scottish 80/- on tap, made with Golden Promise and cold fermented. My dad said...... You HAVE to try this. She tasted it and her fece lit up........ OH........ thats great!
She drank an entire middy and thats my claim to fame! I have won state comps and Gold medals at Aus national brewing comp but mum drinking a glass of beer.......... thats said it all for me! It was good.

may i ask what the brew was and how you made it.......... maybe we can boost you up a level and really make her say WOW! Maybe your ready to try extract brewing and boil your own hops?

Tony..dont think i'm ready for that yet...all it was was a coopers oz pale ale with b/e2 and some light dry malt and some POR hops fermented in my fridge using my new fridgemate at 19deg...have just put down another but with cascade hops this time and using US-05 yeast instead of the kit yeast...

Top Post Tony....U must have been a happy man that day!

Gov-ko, now that you have temp control(this makes such a massive difference to ur brews), are getting into using hops, other yeast,....its ALL OVER FOR YOU MATE :)...haha welcome to the dark side. There are so many things you will learn and want to experiment with.

One day you will step into the world of using grain, eg try some carapils, say 200-300g per brew, along with all your other stuff, gives great head rentention, easy to use, just steep for 30mins (google the method here), then boil the resultant liquid along with some hop additions and whammo, next step up.

There there is extract brewing, partials, BIAB, All grain....What a fantastic hobby...as I have said before, there is nothing more satisfying then sloggin' away in the yard, mowing, digging, whatever, and after a long day you pour a schooner or 5 of your homebrew and think to yourself DAMN my yard looks good...but it aint got shit on this FANTASTIC beer, that I MADE, life's good!! Its also good when friends and relos demand the homebrew 'cause it tastes better' then u know u are doing something right, but they drink so much of it!!! BUGGERS...hahaha

Rendo

EDIT: welcome to AHB mate

Awsome news......... your on the right path.

Read, learn, experiment, fail now and then but learn from it, share experiences and always try and improve on the last batch!

NEVER..... think, thats great.... i will stick with that.

Fortune favours the bold my friend!

My mum has never liked beer. She has never drank a whole glass of beer. She states its because it "tastes like beer"

Even award winning brews of mine.......... nope...... its beer. But one day i have an awsome Scottish 80/- on tap, made with Golden Promise and cold fermented. My dad said...... You HAVE to try this. She tasted it and her fece lit up........ OH........ thats great!
She drank an entire middy and thats my claim to fame! I have won state comps and Gold medals at Aus national brewing comp but mum drinking a glass of beer.......... thats said it all for me! It was good.

may i ask what the brew was and how you made it.......... maybe we can boost you up a level and really make her say WOW! Maybe your ready to try extract brewing and boil your own hops?

Tony..dont think i'm ready for that yet...all it was was a coopers oz pale ale with b/e2 and some light dry malt and some POR hops fermented in my fridge using my new fridgemate at 19deg...have just put down another but with cascade hops this time and using US-05 yeast instead of the kit yeast...

thats what i wanted to see......... your done for mate! Its all over.

small steps forward and you will be turning your nose up at $15 bottles of import beer in no time! It aint hard to do better.

Its not rocket science.

love it.

cheers

as I have said before, there is nothing more satisfying then sloggin' away in the yard, mowing, digging, whatever, and after a long day you pour a schooner or 5 of your homebrew and think to yourself DAMN my yard looks good...but it aint got shit on this FANTASTIC beer, that I MADE, life's good!! [/quote]

I also suffer from the problem of storing my lawnmower next to the beer fridge. Sometimes on a hot day the first longneck doesn't make it out of the garage, and when I go into the house carrying my 2nd one SWMBO says, " I suppose you deserve a beer after working in the heat".
When is a lawn mown to 'beer quality'? When it's good enough that you can sit down with a beer and SWMBO doesn't complain about you drinking it.

Hey great work
Im only new to brewing as well me and the bloke down the street have been happy with our results so far.
The misses however tried a pilsner my first attempt at hop addtions using saaz. First sip "wow this is nice" but could only just get the whole glass down because it had so much flavor.
I think this will be problem for a lot of my mates used to drinking commercial stuff it will take some getting used to drinking a beer with flavor.

Cheers Stu

Just getting the temp to 18* can really make all the difference with kit beer..... :)

Back