Hash Browns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
Potatoes:
hashbrowns1.jpg

Peeled and grated (optional: finely chopped onion):
hashbrowns2.jpg

Squeeze all the water out (just another use for swiss-voile):
hashbrowns3.jpg

Add some oil to a pan, heat until just below smoking.
Add hash browns mixture and even out with a fork:
hashbrowns4.jpg

Flip (and season with salt & pepper):
hashbrowns5.jpg

Enjoy as part of a suitably delicious meal containing all the important food groups:
hashbrowns6.jpg

Yum, looks awesome Wolfy. Nothing to bind them? They just stick together like that?

Yum, looks awesome Wolfy. Nothing to bind them? They just stick together like that?
Nothing else, just potato - and some onion.
After compressing all the water out of them, they actually stuck together too much and were difficult to spread across the pan, so for the second batch I spread them out flat on the swiss-voile before putting it in the pan.

Looks tops Wolfy.

I made a batch of a Belgian "Stoemp Aux Carottes" last night which is a similar sort of beast usually served up at breakfast with bacon etc.

500 g potatoes, peeled and diced into small chunks
300 g carrots, peeled and sliced
100 g bacon, cut into bits
50 g butter
100 ml heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions:
1. Heat a small skillet over high heat.
2. Add the bacon and saut for 5 minutes until the bacon bits are well colored.
3. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
5. Add potatoes and carrots.
6. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are well done or even slightly overdone (they will be easier to mash).
7. Drain the vegetables and place them in a salad bowl.
8. Mash the vegetables with a fork, a potato masher or any other manual ustensil. It is important not to use an electric mixer so that the texture remains chunky enough.
9. Add the bacon bits and let the diced pieces of butter melt on top of the mashed vegetables.
10. Add cream and nutmeg.
11. Season with salt and pepper.
12. Toss well and serve.

Weight watchers may not approve, but went well as a side dish for Carbonades Flamandes (Weight watchers probably wouldn't approve of it either ;) )

Weight watchers may not approve, but went well as a side dish for Carbonades Flamandes (Weight watchers probably wouldn't approve of it either ;) )
SWMBO would approve, which is what usually matters when I cook. ;)

SWMBO would approve, which is what usually matters when I cook. ;)

The trouble&strife usually approves of anything I cook - since it doesn't happen terribly often :D

Latest posts

Back