Has Lcpa Changed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heaps and heaps of cascade flavour. My mate loves the LCPA and he couldn't stop smelling the US Cascade hop pellets I was using in a brew. Fat Yak better - it's just different. I'd prefer an Alpha Pale over a Fat Yak or LCPA.

That blackboard is interesting - is that in the new souvenir shop? Its basically a recipe.

The "USA and/or Tasmania" bit says a lot about the varying taste of the LCPA. Cost/availability must be an issue, especially cost I would imagine.

I'm guessing the freshness as well would be a factor especially for the hopback. Lots of fresh flowers get jammed in there for that distinct flavour.

Had a schooner of LCPA straight after a fat yak last weekend at the Australian... the Fat Yak was the better of the two.
But I wouldn't refuse one if I saw it on tap at my local.
:blink: dunno what you're on mate lol. Nah each to their own. When I had fat yak it tasted like commercial megaswill, cold fizzy and flavourless. LCPA is by far and large the best readily available beer I think.

I had a six pack of LCPA for the first time about four months ago. Not longer after I had a couple of glasses of it at the Platform Bar from the keg, and the difference was huge. Kegged variety was very much more hop driven in both aroma and flavour than the bottled stuff.

I've had another six pack since, and still think the kegged version is very different. The bottles weren't too old either.

I had a six pack of LCPA for the first time about four months ago. Not longer after I had a couple of glasses of it at the Platform Bar from the keg, and the difference was huge. Kegged variety was very much more hop driven in both aroma and flavour than the bottled stuff.

I've had another six pack since, and still think the kegged version is very different. The bottles weren't too old either.

Well the keg must be hoppy! I met up with a friend last week, me with a six pack JS Amber Ale, he with LCPA. The LCPA tasted hugely of hops, and even though I always enjoy the JSAA, after a stubby of LCPA the AA was the one that tasted watery and weak, and overly sweet. I had hop burps all night from the LCPA.

Now that my taste buds have re-adjusted I am enjoying JSAA again.

Yeah the board is in the retail outlet next to the brewhouse. The new part and the board has all their beers noted, that's why I took a pic, better that relying on my memory.

LCPA seems a bit different every time I drink it. I put it down to hop character fading with time.... Same as happens with HB.

Yeah I find the bottles pretty consistent, and the keg version is definitely hoppier in flavour and aroma. Same goes with the Bright Ale and the Rogers.

LCPA seems a bit different every time I drink it. I put it down to hop character fading with time.... Same as happens with HB.

Yep, always check the date on the label [Neck label] I check after tasting, it never goes bad but the hop hit fades!

Still, an farkin great beer!

maybe this has to do with you brewing hoppier beers over time and your taste buds becoming a bit jaded? i know that a lot of brewers who taste a beer they like, then go away and try to clone it (read: hop the shit out of it) over a period of a few months, and then come back to the original find that it is a lot more subtle/watered down/etc than what they first remember.

i have seen this a LOT. paritcularly with LCPA and SNPA. some of the recipes on the DB here that are in the supposed LCPA & SNPA style have hopping schedules amile over the top from the originals.

personally i dont over-hop my beers and as a result find LCPA to be fairly close to its original form from a few years ago. i had a stubby yesterday over lunch and still got that good hoppy twang....

just my 2c

Has Little Creatures Pale Ale changed?
In the last few months the LCPA I have bought has seemed to lack something, What I am wondering about is if I have been unlucky and been getting old beer, or is it different?
Normally I can get a nice taste similar to lychee (never really thought it was passionfruit), but that seems to be lacking? maybe I am crazy.

Could just be your tastes have changed. I know since brewing myself what used to be ultra-hoppy or very malty now just tastes 'normal'. I find this kind of annoying really, makes one wonder if one is now making overdone beers as a result.

I understand your point but it begs the question: who are you (is one) making your beer for?

Thanks for all the replies and the link.

So, my understanding is: There probably is some variation in LCPA most likely due to the seasonal variation in ingredients as well as the availability of hops from US etc.
Also, older beer can lose some of the hops kick.

Then there is little creature's moving it's brewery and all that changes as a result.

But having said all that, I have a stubbie of LC in my hand at the moment and it is all that i remember (Best Before: 17/06/2010). Will make sure to have a look at the dates every time from now on.

Has Little Creatures Pale Ale changed?
In the last few months the LCPA I have bought has seemed to lack something, What I am wondering about is if I have been unlucky and been getting old beer, or is it different?
Normally I can get a nice taste similar to lychee (never really thought it was passionfruit), but that seems to be lacking? maybe I am crazy.

Your right - at the moment its lacking something big time. they chop and change their hops regularly. Unfortunately this sometimes has detrimental effects on the beer.

Shame because a month ago it was tasting really good on tap and bottle.

I had a few pints of this last week and say: if it has changed, I don't care, it is great!

having a squiz through the Little Creatures Geelong website and I see the ibu of LCPA is 40 - I thought it was 38? maybe they've given it a nudge?

LCPA has always changed its hops. The brewery has always made this knowledge public, sure it is better sometimes than other times but that's what you get.

droid said:
having a squiz through the Little Creatures Geelong website and I see the ibu of LCPA is 40 - I thought it was 38? maybe they've given it a nudge?
I'm not sure if God would even be able to tell the difference

well it is an observation, make of it what you will, i'm interested if there is a trend based on consumers palates tolerating higher ibu as some have elucidated to in posts about lcpa over the years

however changing hops doesn't mean the ibu bounces around as a result - they could hit whatever number they want

Back