Has Anyone ..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Sinclair

Reaction score
dropped the rubber for the airlock into the fermenter? Was trying to push in the airlock and actually push the rubber gromet into the fermenter <_< Now it's sitting in it's new home amoung a fresh batch of wyeast 1084 :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to bother trying to fetch it out, do you think i will produce any off flavours, infection?

Guilty as charged!

I was too paranoid that leaving it in there would lead to possibly infection/rubber flavoured beer, so I racked the entire beer off into another fermenter. Though it wasn't fermenting at the time, which seems to be the predicament with your situation...

You might get lucky because its already fermenting, and assuming its been sterilised beforehand, it won't affect anything.

Otherwise there's always the Tony method: dunk your whole arm in a idophor solution, open the ferment up and just pull it out. That's determination! :p

Wash your arm in napi san then get it out.

Just joking it should be fine if its been cleaned and sanitised properly.

Aye, guilty, your honour.

Was good to have a few on hand, otherwise being late at night as it was, it'd be up to the armpit in sanitiser and... well you know the rest.

Now I'm a bit particular how I assemble it all and the lid only goes back on when fitted with the grommet _and_ bottom half of the bubbler. You'll note with a tight fitting bubbler that the underside of the grommet can stretch a fair way in but still looks perfectly- placed from the top. Doesn't that scream "sanitise me well!" at you??...

I've done it on two occassions, both were fine.
I've also left a plastic paddle in there once before, didn't know it was in there until I turned the house upside down looking for it when I was trying to do a second bacth a week later.

Occa

:lol: I have a fermenter lid that has an airlock hole that is just that little bit small.... It's so hard to resist sticking the airlock stem in your mouth to lubricate it a bit to get it to slip in there....

I've pushed the grommet through numerous times trying to push it in dry... DOH! Pain in the arse when you can't find another grommet. Now I just spray the stem of the airlock with no-rinse..

yeah yeah.. I know, it'd be easy to make the hole just that little bit bigger.... But then I'd have to find the wad punches, and a block of softwood and a hamm.... blah blah blah

Or just convert to gladwrap. Solves all of lifes problems...

:lol: I remember asking this about 5 years back!

I wish i had a dollar for every..........

Ahhhhh thats what forums are about and good to see lots of positive ..... it will be rights after all these years!

Napysan is no good Jayse...... any soaps left on your arm and its all over for the head retention. I find boiling water works well. :p

Oh god dont let butters see this...... do you want a strangled kitten in your fermenter?........ using an airlock is evil!

Untill you use 3068 or 3787.

Would love to see a glad wraped fermenter with these yeasts.

cheers

Why does everyone even remove the airlock from the lid? I dont understand...

My airlock was fitted once, the day I got it home. Its never been out.

Cheers,
Jake

Untill you use 3068 or 3787.

Would love to see a glad wraped fermenter with these yeasts.

cheers

Yea, blowoff tubes arent the friendliest with gladwrap. If i ever have any doubts I just use the biggest fermenter I have and cut back on the recipe a bit so that theres a nice 10-12L of headspace... havent had any problems..... yet....

In due time though... :rolleyes:

Speaking of glad wrap and kittens....

I have a natural aversion to the stuff since watching Bubby....

Be still cat!

Oh god dont let butters see this...... do you want a strangled kitten in your fermenter?........ using an airlock is evil!

:lol:

You know the irony? It was exactly this same thing happening to me, that gave me the incentive to break the habit of using an airlock. :lol:

Thanks guys and i just wanted to give Butters something else to scream at besides airlocks not bubbling ... ;)

I'm going to give the glad wrap a go though, my lids and threads on the lids look like they are harvesting all sorts of goodies.

Latest posts

Back