Has anyone tried to make Sweet Potato Beer/Wine?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fifth comment down in link. It gives you a brown/portery ale.

To me it sounds disgusting, but some seem to like it. Many of my countrymen brew and love pumpkin ale, but I fled to Australia to escape from it. They're probably Trump voters.

Never call me a Trump voter, but I'm planning to do a pumpkin ale soon.

I found a recipe for Cock Ale AKA 'Capon Ale' in my book 'A Sip Through Time' by Cindy Renfrow.. some recipes add the Chook boiled, some add it raw.. I always thought what I'd do with my chooks once they stopped laying..

Please no dick jokes -_-

one of the recipes for Cock Ale calls for 2 quarts of Sack wine and 1 Large old cock.. in the method it says "the older the better"

Damn! I said no joke..

I couldn't help myself.

Yes, cock ale is an old recipe and, judging from the amount of times it turns up in old books, quite a popular one. I want to do one myself some time.

The secret is apparently in breaking the bones up, which releases all this gelatine into the brew, thus clarifying it. That and presumably the boiled chook taste.

sounds a bit vomity...

I wouldn't be brave enough to try it

so I tried to make some sweet potato beer and it took a lot of potato to get a decent OG. anyway it tasted quite awful and had the consistency of saliva.. so all in all a disaster.

I would not recommend making sweet potato beer.. Glad I only made a very small amount..

Why aim for a barley beer OG with sweet potato ?

I mean if you were making a Shiraz you'd probably aim at 1.08 to 1.12 for an OG

Maybe sweet potato beer needs a lower OG and will keep fermenting to a very low FG.

I know potato based vodka starts at a quite low OG of course I haven't tried to make it as it's not legal to do so in Aus :)

I might try a 5l brew next time we have an overabundance of sweet potatoes - using that linked method for extraction.

I'll just go for a decent amount of mash and not worry about the OG.

As for your cock beer - I get food poisoning walking past KFC so no chicken in my fermenters .

Cheers

edit and ps.. Just boil those boys and non layers and make some heartwarming soup instead.

You can totally make a beer with sweet potato only. You were on the right track baking. Just go longer then wash the sugar out.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1613998210200.jpg
    FB_IMG_1613998210200.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 12
Back