Has anyone tried to make Sweet Potato Beer/Wine?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chookers

Reaction score
I have been reading that sweet potatoes have Beta amylase in them, and theoretically you could make sweet potato malt. Then naturally you would go on to make beer?

I have no experience with this, so I was wondering if anyone has made a sweet potato Malt, or Beer or Wine.. and if so please share results

Looks like it's a viable prospect - see http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=339931

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: 1968 London ESB
Yeast Starter: Yes.
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.01
IBU: 21.9
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 69
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): N/A
Tasting Notes: Moderate sweet potato flavor comes through.

9# Maris Otter
.75# Honey Malt
.25# Biscuit Malt
.25# Acid Malt (to water condition)
6# Roasted Sweet Potato mash, burnt crunchies and all
.5 oz. Magnum hops
1/2 tsp calcium chloride in mash (to condition water)
Efficiency = 82%
mash @ 154 for 60 mins

No, interesting idea though. It often benefits chucking this sort of stuff in the mash anyway - like you do with pumpkin beer, chestnut beer, or (sometimes) beetroot beer.

do you think you could get enough reaction just from the sweet potato so you wouldn't have to add any malt barley?

You wouldn't be making a beer then, you'd be making a wine. But I'm not sure how much you'd need to mash just with sweet potato alone anyway as it's - well, obviously - so *sweet* that you may not need to turn much starch into sugar.

Lots of things seem to have some amylase in them. Obviously the moot question is how much. It would be interesting to know more about this little enzyme - how it comes about, how simple it is molecularly, and so on.

Intriguing, maybe another reason for traditional brews like ginger beer.

well I have done a sample batch, I used around 700g of sweet potato and held it at mash temp for around 90 mins at that time it had no conversion at all so I added 5 drops of dry enzyme and kept it at temp for another 90mins, when I checked its preboil sg was 1.010 I boiled it down to less than half volume to get 1.030 I added a few grams of hops for the last 30mins.. the end result was roughly 2L, 1/3rd of this is crud.. I put some coopers ale yeast in and it is bubbling away, smells really good, I hope that's a good sign. This brew also had one grated green banana skin on and 1/2 of cooked mixed grain porridge added to the mash.

It looks good, I'm just sorry I didn't get the OG higher, I know I could have added some other fermentables, but I really wanted to see how far I could get.

I know the results would have been a lot better had I added some Ale malt to get the enzymes, I would also have to blend the potato finer next time I do it. I will be doing this again, but I am going to study more before my next attempt.

There may have been a number of issues - how did you treat the sweet potato before (did you just grate it into the water? Did you boil it/bake it beforehand?) How did the sweet potato affect the water pH? Perhaps the mash would have benefited from a starch rest?

I made chestnut beer recently, and instead of the chestnuts adding an expected couple of points to the OG of the beer (after mash and boil), I think they actually *detracted* from it. My theory is the chestnuts somehow screwed up the water pH during mash or, maybe, some of the chestnutty fats or proteins interfered with the proper action of the enzyme in the grain.

I grated the sweet potato and then followed the same steps as my wheat beer, I wanted to cook the potatoes starches but not destroy the enzymes..

I made a second attempt at cooking the potato, this time in the oven at 70 degrees for two hours it was still not cooked, but sweet honey like liquid had begun to seep out around the edges, I tasted some and I believe it was the malted starch, but I did not continue cooking.. power bill would have been too high.. I think the dammed thing would have had to be in there for 5 hours at least.. I had my meat thermometer in it to make sure I didn't go over the temp (75 degrees is enzyme death, right?)

I don't know what the PH was I have no kit to test.

I dont mind mashing sweet potatoe but then I just eat it

Sorry about that one but just woke up couldnt resist

TimT said:
I made chestnut beer recently, and instead of the chestnuts adding an expected couple of points to the OG of the beer (after mash and boil), I think they actually *detracted* from it. My theory is the chestnuts somehow screwed up the water pH during mash or, maybe, some of the chestnutty fats or proteins interfered with the proper action of the enzyme in the grain.
How did you prepare them? Bridge Road makes a great chestnut beer. DJ_L3thal has cloned it, so it's definitely possible.

Roast the chestnuts, shucked them out of their shells, then for good measure boiled the shells in a bit of water first before using that to mash the ground up chestnuts and grain. It was based on a recipe I found online which had similar measures (though I misread it at first, as they just boiled the chestnuts BEFORE roasting them, and then did the mash in the previously boiled water).

The wort was/is VERY cloudy and does taste appreciably chestnutty, which is good enough for me!

Latest posts

Back