Has Anyone Had Probelms With Starsan Foaming?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick8882003

Reaction score
Mixed up my first batch of starsan yesterday. When I went to sanitise my fermenter it foamed really bad. I probably used a little more than recommended, about 10ml in six litres. The recommended rate is 1oz for five gallons. The fermenter foamed that bad that it took half an hour for the bubbles to die down.

Hopefully I got it sanitised though.

Anyone else have trouble with starsan foaming like this?

This is common for Starsan and the standard reply is "Dont fear the foam".

Tip out any liquid starsan and then rack your beer or wort straight onto it. The foam left behind is very small in volume and is generally considered good for yeast.

Thanks, yea I figured I didn't have too much to worry about, seeing it is no rinse. Was caught unaware by the foaming though.

Have one for me tonight!

Cheers :party: Mick C

> Has Anyone Had Probelms With Starsan Foaming?

lol, only everyone that has ever used it.

as Jye said, dont fear the foam! just ignore it, it wont cause any problems.

It's supposed to foam, thats the whole idea. The foam acts as a sanitiser too, clinging to the surface.

If you don't want much foam, buy saniclean instead.

I like the foaming...
Gives me that weird feeling its actually doing something...
Don't know why... <_< but it does.. :)

Sqyre... ;)

OMG, those starsan snakes are the best :D

Hope everyone has a full keg tonight.

Cheers :party: Mick C

Yep, love the foam. I usually end up with a foam snake out the top of the keg when filling.

Yes, Jon from 5 star chemicals said that at ANHC. Don't fear the foam. The foam will sanitise just as well as the liquid. In fact, a quick splash on all the surfaces will work too apparently.

If you keg that is an advantage. You can spray the posts with the stuff to sanitize them and not worry about bad taste in the beer. After a good spray down of al the connections you will know if you have any leaks from the wild foaming from the leak site.

This is common for Starsan and the standard reply is "Dont fear the foam".

Tip out any liquid starsan and then rack your beer or wort straight onto it. The foam left behind is very small in volume and is generally considered good for yeast.
I've got my head around everything, except for being good for the yeast? How would this work?

Get a load of this: When it comes in contact with wort, the pH of the wort deactivates the starsan.

I've got my head around everything, except for being good for the yeast? How would this work?

Supposedly when the pH goes above a certain level some of the ingredients actually act as nutrients rather than sanitisers. Thats why they recommend mixing with distilled water if your tap water has really high pH.

Back