Harris 601 And Nitrogen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeddog

Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum..so i hope i dont blow it......

I have read the post on the harris 601 being compatable to use with cellar mix gasses (70% nitrogen---30% CO2)......I just want to be sure that this is the case as i am a newbies at kegging.
I have made a Killkenny i am sitting down till Christmas, when my first born arrives for my (party on dad) beer . All i have is CO2 with reg, local HBS bloke said to gas with CO2 and pour with Nitrogen with Ventmatic Tap ( which i have)......heres the big questions are:

Can i gas with my CO2 bottle?

Can i use the harris 601 with cellar mix gas?

Does the mix have to be 70% N2---30% CO2?

What pressure would pouring be with the Cellar mix?

basically what should i do and how?....dont want to have to buy a $200 N2 reg

regards Jeddog

ps... about to pour my first beer from a keg (coopers pale ale) just waiting for 12 o'clock

You Bloody Ripper!!!!

PA120466.jpgPA120467.jpgPA120468.jpg

Welcome jeddog. As far as I know serving of cellarmix and C02 are done through different regs (pressures), Harris may well make a N reg that you can also put C02 through when not using the N. I can't comment at all about serving , I don't have a cellarmix setup.
12 o'clock hey ! Mmm might just wonder out to the shed myself. :D

This is my first post on this forum..so i hope i dont blow it......

I have read the post on the harris 601 being compatable to use with cellar mix gasses (70% nitrogen---30% CO2)......I just want to be sure that this is the case as i am a newbies at kegging.
I have made a Killkenny i am sitting down till Christmas, when my first born arrives for my (party on dad) beer . All i have is CO2 with reg, local HBS bloke said to gas with CO2 and pour with Nitrogen with Ventmatic Tap ( which i have)......heres the big questions are:

Can i gas with my CO2 bottle?

Can i use the harris 601 with cellar mix gas?

Does the mix have to be 70% N2---30% CO2?

What pressure would pouring be with the Cellar mix?

basically what should i do and how?....dont want to have to buy a $200 N2 reg

regards Jeddog

ps... about to pour my first beer from a keg (coopers pale ale) just waiting for 12 o'clock

You Bloody Ripper!!!!

View attachment 9458View attachment 9459View attachment 9460

jeddog,

Welcome. I have gassed Kilkenny and other such brews with CO2 without any problems. Granted, Nitro mix will give you a more 'authentic' look, however CO2 will still produce that characteristic rising foam that Kilkenny and Guinness are famous for. Nitro will give you a smoother head with finer, smaller bubbles, but i doubt it is worth the extra expense. I pour at around 14 psi but you may need to experiment with the ventmatic to get it right.

I use cellarmix gas and a 0.5 micron diffusion stone to nitrogenate/carbonate stouts/irish reds. The reg requied to use my cellarmix cylinder is different from my CO2 reg in that instead of a flat interface with the cylinder, it actually has a cone shaped fitting which fits into the cylinder. I find that the results using cellarmix are far better than just using CO2.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Sorry for the hijack, but can I have a close-up pic of this please?
PA120468B.jpg
Have you moved the freezer section in the old fridge?? :blink:

Tanget

yeah.....just unclipped it from the top of the fridge, i was hoping to straighten it out at some stage and have it on the side wall, but she works fine for the moment.....
We've had some hot weather down here in Melbourne this week and was trying out a Killkenny brew...needed it to brew at a constant temp, with some fine tuning got it to keep at a temp around 20--22.
The fridge was a bit small to have my air lock on top,. so opted to have it attached to the door

hopin she works out OK

jeddogView attachment 9500View attachment 9501View attachment 9499

Tanget

yeah.....just unclipped it from the top of the fridge, i was hoping to straighten it out at some stage and have it on the side wall, but she works fine for the moment.....
We've had some hot weather down here in Melbourne this week and was trying out a Killkenny brew...needed it to brew at a constant temp, with some fine tuning got it to keep at a temp around 20--22.
The fridge was a bit small to have my air lock on top,. so opted to have it attached to the door

hopin she works out OK

jeddogView attachment 9500View attachment 9501View attachment 9499View attachment 9502

that's awesome
we had an old fridge years ago which fitted a 50L keg in but the coupling would hit the freezer..... never thought we could just move the freezer section!
nice work!

Back