Hargreaves Hill Esb Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep true on that point. Tried Mountain Goat's IPA about half an hour prior to this one and their ESB is bigger in hops than the Goat's IPA.
yes but not all beers are created equal. IPA range is sybstantial. look at squire's IPA. barely bitter enough to eb an IPA in my book.

I think it would sit OK at the hoppier end of the IPA style as well. Think IPA, think hops.

yep, i got it in my paddle at the taphouse last week, sitting next to and tasting next to 'Feral hop hog IPA' and really i thought the ESB had more hop aroma/flavour, was about to take it back cause i thought he'd poured me the wrong thing until i realised it was a real nice beer.

And from memory the balance is not very bitter at all,

Same here, just a nice all round balanced beer. Not sure what the word is to describe the clarity or lack of it in this beer but that did add that extra bit of mystery about it in the sense of how it was put together.

BYB

yes but not all beers are created equal. IPA range is sybstantial. look at squire's IPA. barely bitter enough to eb an IPA in my book.

Sure. There is plenty of overlap in the BJCP styles, and we have to remember that the BJCP is not the be-all end-all of beer classification. When it gets down to it, the BJCP and other styles reflect what is being made by homebrewers, the craft brewers and macro brewers. The brewer says it's an ESB, so it is.

That said, I found the first time I tasted it, as soon as it came on tap at The Local, it had a much bigger bitterness hit. As the keg aged a couple weeks, or perhaps it was a different batch, the hops mellowed and more of the malt came thru. Lovely beer, no matter which bjcp box it sits in.

as simon quoted beerhogs comment maybe its a hint that galaxy is the hop of choice

I tasted this beer today for the first time and it was ok, didnt like the big munich malt character. Just too rich. One only thx. Its all a a bit too malt offensive. I read the above posts, the bitterness was subdued, the hop flavour was overwhelmed by malt.
I didnt check the use/best by, but it was clean. Not sure how you find galaxy in that?
Whos brewed it? did you come close? does it have a shedload of munich/caramunich?

Will be in Melbourne this October. I shall be heading down to the Taphouse to reminisce my last visit 2yrs ago. Hope the ESB is not as bad as described :(

BYB

Royston had it on tap last weekend and I thought it was the best thing they had on tap so I had three.
If only there was a machine that you could pour a bit of beer into and it would reverse engineer it for you!

Oh yeah, they had Holgate ESB on the hand pump but in comparison it was hardly worth a mention. In fact, I wish I didn't even type this now.

I had it last weekend and while I didn't think it was the best ESB ever I did think it was a pretty nice beer. Seems like there is significant changes in this one with time though.

I think as an ESB *style* thats not what their trying to do, Its their own style and its ok, I drunk it from a bottle with a heap of sediment. In contrast , I believe this is available via tap? So I am only commenting on the bottle version. Nevertheless I thought it rich enough to be bocklike yet lacking the substance of alcohol and body to carry it thru.

Mine was on tap and I did enjoy it quite a bit. Not going to pick it apart as an ESB because that isn't one of my pet styles but it didn't seem entirely like other ones I've had.

I was there earlier in the year. The brewer told me he uses Wyeast 1056.

Very old thread but for anyone searching online and wondering (like me), HH now list the following on their bottles.
Hops: Galaxy, Mosaic
Malt: Ale, Crystal, Chocolate
5.2%, 35IBU, 20EBC.

I personally find the chocolate malt much more prevalent in the bottled version but this may be due to the lack of nitrogen in the bottled version.

Latest posts

Back