Hargreaves Hill Esb Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fents

Not a Beer God
Reaction score
Anyone want to take a stab at this with me? im addicted to their ESB and i have to have a crack at brewing it....Searched the whole Recipe DB and google and nothing comes up.

I know simon posts on here maybe he will chime in with a hint...?

Grain :

90% Ale
5% Crystal?
No idea what the other 5% should be but i know its got a golden/copper colour so maybe Carared?

Hops :

No idea...

Yeast (Liquid) :

No idea either...

Need some help! I've read BJCP and still no further...plus i want a Hargreaves tasting ESB not just any old ESB.

cheers crew.

theres a disc thread here but no one answer.

buggered if i know whatsa in it, but i love it also.

From the murky depths of my memory, I thought this tasted like 100% NS on the hops.

I enjoyed the beer, though I think it is not an ESB.

have to agree this beer is stunning but no esb. no idea how to brew it but i do know they use a lot of galaxy in it.

The current HH ESB has a stonkload of passionfruit character to it. I'd start with any hop that will give you that, regardless of what the beer actually has. In terms of replicating the hop flavour, I'd be looking to Motueka mainly, then Galaxy. And then maybe some Sauvin. Other than that, I dunno.

Anyone want to take a stab at this with me? im addicted to their ESB and i have to have a crack at brewing it....Searched the whole Recipe DB and google and nothing comes up.

I know simon posts on here maybe he will chime in with a hint...?

Grain :

90% Ale
5% Crystal?
No idea what the other 5% should be but i know its got a golden/copper colour so maybe Carared?

Hops :

No idea...

Yeast (Liquid) :

No idea either...

Need some help! I've read BJCP and still no further...plus i want a Hargreaves tasting ESB not just any old ESB.

cheers crew.

I would agree to me it really is not an ESB but very nice all the same. I have made something like it using all Galaxy hops. I think it would just be a matter of getting the balance right, grain profile that is.

love this beer too. Would be very interested in a recipe

How is that bulk hop buy going? :ph34r: :( :rolleyes:

BYB

The current HH ESB has a stonkload of passionfruit character to it. I'd start with any hop that will give you that, regardless of what the beer actually has. In terms of replicating the hop flavour, I'd be looking to Motueka mainly, then Galaxy. And then maybe some Sauvin. Other than that, I dunno.

This is probably close. I definitely got Galaxy, maybe NS, but not so much Motueka (which is probably my favourite hop right now).

To the OP, I think the idea you have so far is fine, mostly pale ale, touch of dark crystal, maybe some choc to adjust colour and hop to your fancy. Without meaning to be rude, what is the appeal of cloning it? Don't you think you might like a similar beer, slightly tweaked to your preferences, even more than the HH ESB? Or is this beer truly Nirvana for you? I'm currently sipping a low hopped pale ale with Caraaroma and it's ******* delicious. I'd use this grain bill again with a hoppier beer for sure.

Just and idea Fents.

HH ESB
Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Type: All Grain
Date: 20/05/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
4.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Bairds) (3.0 SRM) Grain 81.8 %
0.35 kg Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) Grain 6.4 %
0.30 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (8.5 SRM) Grain 5.5 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.5 %
0.10 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (178.0 SRM) Grain 1.8 %
20.00 gm B Saaz - Motueka [7.10%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.4 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.2 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
20.00 gm B Saaz - Motueka [7.10%] (0 min) Hops -
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 35.1 IBU
Est Color: 9.8 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash In Add 14.30 L of water at 73.5 C 67.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 8.03 L of water at 93.0 C 75.6 C 10 min

have to agree this beer is stunning but no esb. no idea how to brew it but i do know they use a lot of galaxy in it.

If you read any judging guidelines (BJCP or Brewers Association - which is used for the AIBAs) this beer ticks all the boxes. I view it as a "new world" interpretation of the style, using "new world" hops - since we have been brewing this beer, we have selected hops from US, NZ and Australia. This is no less legitimately to style, even after reading the guidelines. I am happy for anyone to justify why it isn't an ESB - BJCP makes mention that "Judges should not judge all beers in this style as if they were Fuller's ESB clones." Ours isn't, but it falls within all parameters mentioned in the guidelines. We tend to brew to palate, rather than to style, which makes pigeon-holing our beers, and entering competitions problematic.

I am pretty chuffed that there is so much interest in it. We will probably bottle it once the new brewery is commissioned.

Simon

If one had it written down ... :rolleyes:

I log my brews elsewhere. I think I can re-do this one without much issue ;) (EDIT: Turns out this beer was 50% Pale Ale, 50% Vienna with just a touch of carafa spec II, not Caraaroma)

Simon, cheers for joining the discussion. Can you offer any help, even just a hint, about the recipe? Love this beer. Always have one or two when I'm at the Darlo Taphouse.

Oh yeah I was wondering where I'd heard this name before. Certainly the best of all the beers I tried during my recent trip to melbourne - st kilda taphouse iirc (it was pomos comment about darlo taphouse that sparked my memory). Top beer... I'd love to have a crack at it.

Po_Mo - i prob would enjoy a simaliar beer and im sure i could knock one out easily enough...but your right at this point in time its Nirvana for me. I could put this beer on a IV drip all day everyday. Summer, Winter dosnt matter. Seriously not trying to blow smoke up simons ass but i've tried alot of micros and for me this one is the one.

Simon - again thnaks for chiming in on this discussion. Whats it going to take for us to pry out what hops you guys use in this? think we only really need to know what hops are in there....an no it wont stop me from buying your beer, you know what they say, trying to replicate somthing someone has made is the highest form of flattery right? ;)

We tend to brew to palate, rather than to style, which makes pigeon-holing our beers, and entering competitions problematic.

Purely academic argument here, because I love the beer in question, and order it when it is available.

I think it has individuality going for it, and that is highly commendable. But I can't help having a certain preconceived expectation when I see ESB as the style. I think when you use distinct 'new world' hops, it really changes the character away from the 'bitter' family tree and towards the generic title of 'pale ale'. But I also think that 'pale ale' is a useless description, because you have no idea what the product is. And I am unsure that there is another category that would better fit your beer. It just surprised me the first time I tried it.
I have ordered it multiple times, over 19 other possible beers at the Taphouse in Syd, so you aren't doing bad in my books.

BTW... am I right with the NS? :)

Tried this last night and it was a nice drop, but apologies to Simon from Hargreaves - I have to agree with some of the other threads here - really doesn't sit as an ESB in the old sense.

As an experimental fusion of styles? As a 'New World ESB'? Dunno about that - really tastes like an APA that might have some ESB characteristics in the background. But the hops are so big that it doesn't really leave much more to it.

I thought ESBs traditionally had to exhibit some malt profile. This is all about the hops. So that takes it into APA territory I would think.

Nice beer and all though, and should sell well for the guys.

Cheers,

Hopper.

I thought ESBs traditionally had to exhibit some malt profile. This is all about the hops. So that takes it into APA territory I would think.

I think it would sit OK at the hoppier end of the IPA style as well. Think IPA, think hops.

I think it would sit OK at the hoppier end of the IPA style as well. Think IPA, think hops.

Yep true on that point. Tried Mountain Goat's IPA about half an hour prior to this one and their ESB is bigger in hops than the Goat's IPA.

I think that you get a nice sweet malt backing. And from memory the balance is not very bitter at all, so I would be inclined not to call it an IPA. But to qualify, I like my IPAs hoppy, bitter, and then some.

Back