Hard Lemonade Experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtism

Reaction score
As my confidence is growing that my "hard cider" experiment will turn out great...my wife has asked that I start to consider a hard lemonade as my next brew.

Ever hear of leinenkugel's summer shandy...well, I think its damn disgusting. we obviously prefer something like Mike's Hard Lemonade because it is malted but without the distinct beer taste.

For that reason, something like Skeeter Pee or all the lemon wine recipes out there don't really appeal to me because of the lack of malted flavors.

So unlike the apple cider where I just went with a recipe that relied on juice...I am not sure where I really want to start.

All of the reading that I have don suggests that the following could yield a good drink. Tell me what you think of the following plan. Please note.....this recipe comes from reviewing lots online and talking to my LHBS, but also from my crazy imagination

carboy 1 (2gal)
extra light briess malt extract (amt presently unknown...it will be kept on the low end to not overpower or overcolor)
100% pure pear juice (for a neutral base and yeast supplement)
small amount of 100% lemon juice (to introduce acidity)
dextrose (amt presently unknown but here the goal will not be to reach the yeast tolerance)
pitched with saflager S-23
let it ferment until fg is 1.000
hopefully that means that the yeast can still restart if more fermentables are added
as this is a lager yeast, i will start this carboy well in advance of the next one

carboy 2 (3gal)
lots of 100% lemon juice (amt presently unknown)
lots of dextrose (amt presently unknown but not enough to reach yeast tolerance)
pitched with 1118
let if ferment until fg is 1.000
again, hopefully that means that the yeast can still restart if more fermentables are added

then, mix the 2 solutions by racking to another carboy.
add more dextrose to reach the tolerance or exceed that of the ec1118 because it is the higher tolerance of the 2.
let it go, rack to tertiary, clear, add additives/finings, filter, bottle, force carb and enjoy.

well?

I too would like to know how this turns out as i am going to put down an alc lemonade maybe not to this recipe but still keen know the results

Latest posts

Back