Happy Bloody Days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggles

Reaction score
All,
A few weeks ago I challenged you to put up your views as to "Why all grain?"........I've just tasted my first brew, after conditioning and I've seen the light...Happy Days. I almost chucked it away because it was o harsh, but the conditioning worked wonders. Thanks to all your help and comments. It's full steam ahead from here.

To anyone thinking of doing all grain, do it! Do the BIAB and have a go, it's totally worth the small outlay. Now full steam ahead with the 3V design.

Cheers

Diggles

It really is that much better. I was very dubious that you could make beer that well at home. I always thought that the people saing how awesome their ag beer was 'got used' to their beer, much like i'd got used to my knk beer. BUt when i tasted that first all grain beer out of the fermenter i knew i was onto a winner.

It really is that much better. I was very dubious that you could make beer that well at home. I always thought that the people saing how awesome their ag beer was 'got used' to their beer, much like i'd got used to my knk beer. BUt when i tasted that first all grain beer out of the fermenter i knew i was onto a winner.

Couldn't agree more, all home brewers want to brew a beer like you get at the pub.....all grain is it. Even the head is the same, no home brew twang, just cop a load of that my son and more to come....pour it down.

Yes.
You can make good kit or extract beers IMHO, but AG really is a completely diiferent beer. You still need to make it well though.

Fear

fonzie1.jpg

it's totally worth the small outlay.

The outlay doesn't stay small for long. Welcome to the dark side. You'll never look at the plumbing section the same way again. ;)

Brewing AG is like having sex with a virgin.. Hard to get into, but well worth it.

Need more threads like this - except the derailing.

There is this perception that AG is harder than it is and I've read a number of partial, K&K and other non-AG brewers who quite openly talk about the fear factor and possibly dissuade each other a little.

On the other hand, when an AG brewer says "do it, it ain't that hard" - then there's this perception from those who haven't tried it that "oh, you don't know/don't remember what it's like to make that jump".

This is a recent convert, with recent experience debunking the myths. This might help others who are considering it, but might have dissuaded themselves or been dissuaded to at least reconsider and why it's possible.

Goomba

I was actually enjoying the bit about the virgin Goomba

Need more threads like this - except the derailing.

There is this perception that AG is harder than it is and I've read a number of partial, K&K and other non-AG brewers who quite openly talk about the fear factor and possibly dissuade each other a little.

On the other hand, when an AG brewer says "do it, it ain't that hard" - then there's this perception from those who haven't tried it that "oh, you don't know/don't remember what it's like to make that jump".

This is a recent convert, with recent experience debunking the myths. This might help others who are considering it, but might have dissuaded themselves or been dissuaded to at least reconsider and why it's possible.

Goomba

Have to admit, it does sound hard to get into AG brewing. When I did my first BIAB I could not believe how easy the day went. That's why I've got a real simple how to brew BIAB on my website, which discusses a brew day in a dozen or so lines. I think often more experienced brews like to take it further with water chemistry, heat exchangers, stepped mashes etc makes it sound complex for the beginner. The good thing is you can make good beer without all the extra crap that we do to try and enhance it further.

QldKev

AG is most def..the bomb.

I have only made a handful of AG batches using a tradies pale and a 20 litre stockpot, but my god the differnece.

with AG I have been able to make beers that taste like commercial beers...without a large outlay, bucket $12, stockpot $19, ingredients cost same as Kits n bits.
A mate who has been brewing from kits for a couple of years couldnt believe it when I gave him as taste of what is my best ever kit beer, which he thought rocked,
then gave him a glass of my latest AG Budvar/type clone...he nearly fell over....he ordered a temp controller 2 days later and wrangled himself a fridge, next step is a
combined brew day of a porter/stout to see us through winter.
As op says Happy Bloody Days... :party:

I flipped when i opened my first stubby of ag. One of the best beers i have made, it was due to the contrast between my old can beers and how ag tastes, so fresh! The best bit is how you can now brew what ever you want and not tied to what grain they put in the can.

Enjoy

Have to admit, it does sound hard to get into AG brewing. When I did my first BIAB I could not believe how easy the day went. That's why I've got a real simple how to brew BIAB on my website, which discusses a brew day in a dozen or so lines. I think often more experienced brews like to take it further with water chemistry, heat exchangers, stepped mashes etc makes it sound complex for the beginner. The good thing is you can make good beer without all the extra crap that we do to try and enhance it further.

QldKev

QldKev,
You're bang on the money, it really in't that hard, just more to do on the brew day, but well worth it. BIAB made it possible for me to try all grain to see what all the fuss was about without without burning a hole in my pocket. Make it as complicated as you like, but the simplest, cheapest setup will produce a beer that far out weights any K&K.

Diggles

I guess I need to get into BIAB got the voile and a pot. I have gone from K&K + bits to all extract but am not really satisfied with the results. Never done one that I thought this is brilliant and better than pub beer.

go tropical! **** the kit off, soak some grainz, boil some hops, add teh yeasts...simple really

The two best things I ever did was move to BIAB and set up a fermenting fridge with temp controller.
Both made making great beer waaay easier!!
I love having total control over the ingrediants and the ability to brew to my own tastes.
Get into it!! :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back