Handling 100 Litres Of Beer In A Night ! Beat That

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
A big night,handling 100 litres of beer in the evening. :eek:

My poor ol' back !

Bavarian Bock
About 10.30 I pitched a WLP 833 bottle of yeast starter) into the 40 litre batch and put in the fridge at 18C, this morning it and it was firing away, I reset the Fridgemate temperature to 14 C then about later will reset to 10C.

DunkleWeizen
Pitched the yeast in 20 litre batch

ESB
Filtered 40 litres batch & transferred into the kegs for carbonating.

BEAT THAT !!!

Pumpy B)

I think you need another fridge and some more celi's

Kabooby :p

ps. Did you find the Cooper pale ;)

I think you need another fridge and some more celi's

Kabooby :p

ps. Did you find the Cooper pale ;)

Yes your right Kabooby I never have enough fridges, especially with the Bock fermenting & lagering in there for a Month !!

I am banking on the cooler ambient temperature to ferment some of these outside the fridge like the old days .

Pumpy :)

DSC02304_1.JPG

Pumpy
I am genuinely sorry to hear that you filtered an ESB. Terrible news indeed.
Gerard

Pumpy
I am genuinely sorry to hear that you filtered an ESB. Terrible news indeed.
Gerard

Gerrard,

its just a habit it was clear as a bell before I filtered now it sparkles , I just love the beer watching it go down the pipe .

I filter everthing , even a Dunkleweizen well half of it dont like it too cloudy .

its just one of those 'obsessive compulsive disorders' . :huh:

When I go on holiday I go back to the house three times just to check I turned off the gas and we only have Electricity .
:blink:

PS Gerrard ,

Dont tell me you made a 1000 liters in one day , Microbrewery's not included .

Hope all is well and the family are settling in !!

I am on my third pint of ESB and its not even nine in the morning

pumpy :)

When I go on holiday I go back to the house three times just to check I turned off the gas and we only have Electricity .

Just made me laugh out loud in the office - thanks Pumpy :icon_cheers:

Ppppft is THAT all :p

Is that not enough :eek: I better get mashing .

Huh Franko is back from Tasmania he will finish off a bit .

I bought a pair of thongs in the shape of Australia and they did not have Tasmania on them!!! . I thought they had nuked Tassy :ph34r:

I bought a pair of thongs in the shape of Australia and they did not have Tasmania on them!!! . :ph34r:

...well you obviously bought the men's pair of thongs.
The women's thongs however... :p

Edit: Sorry, I thought we were talking about a different kind of thong!

Gerrard,(spelling Pumpy there it is Gerard)
its just a habit it was clear as a bell before I filtered now it sparkles , I just love the beer watching it go down the pipe .
I filter everthing , even a Dunkleweizen well half of it dont like it too cloudy .
its just one of those 'obsessive compulsive disorders' . :huh:

I am on my third pint of ESB and its not even nine in the morning

Pumpy you air traffic controllers get it easy, drinking that much at work!

I did a 25ish litre batch of Pale Ale on Wednesday, as well as transferring 2 x 20 litre batches from secondary keg to serving keg. After that is was 2 x 22litre cubes into fermentors. Can't wait to get this real brewery up & going, then I might be able to get both cars in the garage.

The new brewhouse here has a huge DE Filter. The idiot brewery salesman asked me what I thought of it and I gave him the most honest answer I could come up with.
"It looks great, nice & shiny"
He asked if I had used one before,
"yes, but not one that small".
He asked how I thought it would go with the beers I want to brew
"Oh it is on wheels, so it will go, probably all the way to the fcuking car-park"

I can't stand filtering beers, it is wrong. If your beer is a bit dusty or cloudy, just close your eyes. Pumpy if you have to drink with Franko closing your eyes will definately make the beer more enjoyable!

Cheers
Gerard

I can't stand filtering beers, it is wrong. If your beer is a bit dusty or cloudy, just close your eyes. Pumpy if you have to drink with Franko closing your eyes will definately make the beer more enjoyable!

Isn't clarity important to consumers?

Isn't clarity important to consumers?

Just because it isn't filtered does not mean it looks cloudy or dusty. The advantage of temp controlled fermentation, along with choosing a yeast that flocs out well certainly helps. With that flash conical of yours you should already be seeing a change! I posted some pics of a pils & Lager in the whats in the glass topic that looked nice & clear without filtering, or any clearing agents.
Cheers
Gerard

Wasnt saying filtering is needed, more about your reference to closing your eyes if they are a bit cloudy.

Wasnt saying filtering is needed, more about your reference to closing your eyes if they are a bit cloudy.

Oh, well I was referring to Pumpy & the people he drinks with. :icon_cheers:
Cheers
Gerard

Just because it isn't filtered does not mean it looks cloudy or dusty. The advantage of temp controlled fermentation, along with choosing a yeast that flocs out well certainly helps. With that flash conical of yours you should already be seeing a change! I posted some pics of a pils & Lager in the whats in the glass topic that looked nice & clear without filtering, or any clearing agents.
Cheers
Gerard
So did the DE filter find a new home?
I'm with you as a home-brewer (couldn't care less about clarity), however from a commercial point of view, isn't it a bit limiting only sticking to yeasts that floc out well?
All well and good for most English yeasts, but certain style yeasts just aren't that cooperative.

Pumpy,

I'm a big ESB fan. My latest batch is a bit too bitter. Colour is spot on as is the front of mount malt flavour.
The back of the mouth nutty malt flavour is lacking and Its just too bitter at present. I'm hoping it will calm down with age.

Any chance you can point me towards your favorite ESB Reciepe ??

BOG

Cheers
Gerard

Gerard
In winter you will be able to open the down there and instant cold condition.

Sorry Pumpy for this getting OT, ahh he is probably safely tucked up in bed by this hour of the morning ;)

So did the DE filter find a new home?
I'm with you as a home-brewer (couldn't care less about clarity), however from a commercial point of view, isn't it a bit limiting only sticking to yeasts that floc out well?
All well and good for most English yeasts, but certain style yeasts just aren't that cooperative.

DE filter will live in a store room. There a quite a few yeasts that suit my requirements. For Lagers & Pilsners I prefer White Labs WLP 800 & WLP 838. The 838 is probably my fav yeast for non-filtered beers. If you ever tried the Pils that I brewed @ Paddy's back in 04 & 05, it was brewed using 838, it was unfiltered (not that anybody could tell) & very popular. When brewing some test lagers at home I have been very impressed with the W34/70, although I haven't used it on a commercial scale yet. For ales I like the WLP005.
Cheers
Gerard

Back