Hair-brained idea or stroke of genius? Please help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clauddr

Reaction score
Had an idea for a double batch brew I wanted to swing by you guys:

Some background – I'm looking to brew 2 batches before Xmas, an easy drinking APA for family and friends and a Strawberry beer for my lady who’s dropping a bub in the next couple of weeks and is dying for a beer!
I normally do 20-23L batches but I have a 50L and a 19L pot + two 30L fermenters so I was thinking of doing a 2 pot cook using the same ingredients to do a total 50L boil

Here’s what I’m thinking:
Splitting everything 70 / 30 (35L in the 50L pot and 15L in the 19L pot)

TOTAL Grain bill:
GRAINS Wt in Kg Split in Kg
Ale Malt 4.00 2.8 / 1.2
Wheat Malt 4.00 2.8 / 1.2
Crystal Pale 100 0.40 0.28 / 0.12

TOTAL Hop schedule:
HOPS Wt in g %AA BOIL min IBU Split in g
Chinook 20 12.0 60 13.93 14 / 6
Chinook 20 12.0 20 8.36 14 / 6
Cascade 40 7.8 20 10.86 28 / 12
Chinook 20 12.0 10 4.99 14 / 6
Cascade 20 7.8 10 3.24 14 / 6
Chinook 40 12.0 0 0.00 28 / 12
Cascade 40 7.8 0 0.00 28 / 12

From there I’ll No-Chill one 25L batch (Batch A) overnight (never done this but don’t have enough space to chill 2 batches) and chill the other wort batch - Batch B, in the tub with ice.

Once Batch B is at pitching temp, pitch S-05 and job done ferment at 20deg for 3 weeks before bottling

Next day pitch S-05 in Batch A and ferment at 20deg for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks pack secondary with 1.5Kg chopped strawberries and rack Batch A. Let it sit in secondary for another 2 weeks before bottling

I'm pretty sure there was an easier way of explaining this but I'm too thick to see it.

Or you could just do a double batch in a 50L pot? It's a squeeze, but it can be done, especially if you top up with a little boiling water halfway through the boil? Saves making more dishes...

**Edit - assuming a double batch being 40L after flameout...

All I have to add is, do NOT boil the strawberries prior to adding to the fermenter. Learnt that lesson the hard way.

Well that turned out to be f'ing hard work!
Started my cook at 8pm Saturday and all went well until mash time was over...then as per usual it all fell rapidly apart! Pot was too full and had boil over, wouldn't come to a rolling boils for f'ing ages and then just wouldn't cool for love or money...ended up dual stirring 2 20L batches in FV's in a tub of ice at 2am!
Eventually pitched the yeast at 26deg and going to bed with multiple brewing wounds (the worst of which was my bruised ego)

But after all that shit on Saturday night, I came home on Sunday evening after a day at the WACA to hear plop, plop, plop coming from the airlock...WORTH ALL THE AGONY:)

Question: I have 100g centennial, 30g galaxy and 50g citra. What's your recommendation for a dry hop on day 5 for the APA?

Mashing in at 8pm?! Gotta love your commitment! ;)

Did you end up doing it all in the 1 pot, or splitting it out into 2 pots?

Yeah, won't be doing that again!

I started with 2 pots as the recipe said I needed 58L at the start. Then with evaporation, spillage (& scalding) and boil over I tipped the remained of the small pot into the 50L pot.
The 50L pot was filled to the brim for most of the boil...have you tried to move a jam packed 50L pot off a hot plate at 1am...*facepalm

Be interested to see how it turned out- that is a shit load of Chinook. I find it very piney and have learnt moderation is the key with using it.
Let us know how it goes.

First time using Chinook so not too sure what to expect.
Any thoughts on a dry hop choice? Cheers

Lol - learned the hard way to start the mash waaay before then for evening brews.

Two small kids... get them to "help" daddy crush grains in the arvo and get strike water heating. Mash in before dinner/bed time. Sparge & boil after the kids have gone to bed (usually 8:30pm before I get back outside to the shed). Invariably still ends up being a late night (at least 11pm, more often 12pm), but I only had to do the late night mash-in once to learn that lesson (2am for me as well, and that was just for cubing!).

Hope the brews turn out well, keep us posted on the berry one.... haven't racked onto fruit before. Interested to see how it turns out.

clauddr said:
More Chinook! It's awesome, go nuts with it :D

Except it'll probably void your stated intentions of an easy drinking APA... dank, resiny, :icon_drool2:.

clauddr said:
Id dump all of that Citra in to try and balance the pine a bit. But any of them would do the job- I just love citra.

mofox1 said:
More Chinook! It's awesome, go nuts with it :D

Except it'll probably void your stated intentions of an easy drinking APA... dank, resiny, :icon_drool2:.
Yeah, thinking blowing the in-laws mouths apart wouldn't be good...or would it;-)

It's meant to be easy drinking for my Mrs who's 8.5 months pregnant and it gagging to get bub out and pound a light and breezy PA (loves LCPA)!

Droopy Brew said:
Id dump all of that Citra in to try and balance the pine a bit. But any of them would do the job- I just love citra.
x2, love the stuff - Think I'll add 30g Citra and 30g Galaxy

Latest posts

Back