Hahn Premium

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
I'm a kit maker and tried a Premium the other day, very impressed; anyone know a good kit recepie for making Hahn Premium; Thanks in advance.

This isn't a recipe but IIRC Hahn uses tettnang hops so you could take a basic "lager" kit and boil some hops in a small part of it. If you haven't done that before then search around on the technique(s), it isn't difficult.

actuall yi thought on the bttle it uses herbrucker

so iwould bitter with por and i would use hersbrucker at the end for flavour and aroma

so with a kit a coops lager would do the boil up some dried extract like 1 kilo or so then throw about 30 grms of herbrucker in it then i would boild for about 10 mins then let cool the do your normal stuff

but being a lager uss a good lager yeast and fermant around 12 degs

Jazman said:
actuall yi thought on the bttle it uses herbrucker
[post="100689"][/post]​
That is what it states on the Lion Nathan web site. I thought it was Hallertau before I checked, I'm not sure why. Here is what Lion Nathan has to say:

Hand crafted with higher malt levels and a blend of three special hops, Hahn Premium Lager is a true premium beer. Hahn Premium is brewed using genuine German Hersbrucker hops, grown on the Hersbruck Hills North of Munich. The German hops add a high aroma value to the brew, with a relatively low level of bitterness. The hops are added very late in the brewing process to highlight their aromatic quality and provide a fresh, green and herbacous aroma.

The Blue mountain lager kit hopped with a late 'gift' of hersbrucker hops will get you pretty close to the mark.

The most difficult part of copying this beer won't be the ingredients but the fermentation. Like Jazman says, you gotta use the right yeast and ferment it cold, give it a diacetyl rest, then cold condition it for weeks. If you are a kit brewer you probably like the simplicity that kit brewing allows. You won't make a good copy of Hahn Premium without a bit more effort.

Thanks for the replies. I've been brewing for many years, but have never ventured from the kits. When you say late hops, is this adding at time of making up the brew, cc'ing or kegging? I've only used the hop pellets where you drop them in a cup of hot water for 5 mins and pour everything into the fermentor at brew time. Also boiling your LME do you just drop some in a saucpan with water and bring to the boil, then add the hops; then finally add this into the fermentor. I will try and experiment with getting the temp down a bit; I'm not allowed another fridge and being in QLD this time of year the fermentors sit around 27/28 in the coolest part of the house. Thanks all for replies.

Kev,

I'm sure you will enjoy reading this free online guide to brewing.
http://www.howtobrew.com/
It is pretty much required reading around here and will answer all your questions and more. Then click on the links at the top of the page and browse some of those sites, starting with sosman's site "brewiki" - the link is in his signature at the bottom of his post above.

Unfortunately the short answer is that with the sorts of temperatures you are talking about, you won't be able to brew lagers like a Hahn Premium copy.

cheers

Quick update; I made a batch going the Morgans way. Blue Mountain, M/B Beer enhancer, 500g Dex and 12g Hersbrucker hops. I gave the ingredients a boil (not the hops) on sunday; and will be CC tonight. Only problem the fermentors have been sitting on 32 degrees :( May have to get a container for them to sit in water with with a towel over the top for the future.
I will let you know how it goes.

Back