Guten 40lt programming guide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillipep

Reaction score
Does anybody have a programming guide for a Guten 40lt microbrewery in a PDF version All I can find is the video and whilst helpful I would like a written version to help explain to others how to use it and store recipes. Manufacturer and stockists don't have this.

On the Keg King Website there is a link to it in the product Details
https://www.keg-king.com.au/guten-40ltr-micro-brewery.htmlThe 40L Keg King Guten 40L Brewery System includes:
  • Programmable controller with digital display
  • Integrated magnetic drive pump, can be operated separately
  • Stainless Steel Bazooka filter
  • Removable Stainless Steel ball valve ½” with nozzle
  • Stainless Steel Domed Distillation Lid with 47mm hole
  • 8 metre Stainless Steel Immersion Chiller of 12.7mm diameter tubing
  • Hop Spider
  • Telescopic Stainless Steel overflow pipe
  • Silicone plug for the overflow pipe
  • Stainless Steel Locking bottom mash screen
  • Stainless Steel top mash screen with handles
  • Stainless Steel pulley compatible mash pipe handle
  • Spare pump elbow with zip-tie clamps
  • 3 year warranty
These systems are the ideal size for space conscious brewers: Dimensions brewing kettle H x W = 57.5 x 35.0 cm
220-240V, 50Hz
Updated Instruction Manual Available HERE
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I3SfbtmNWTZcy3EeZkQqaHd7zvr3Kj80/view

I find the instructions less than intuitive. Have to read them every time I program. I do tend to add an extra step when programming. So if I want to mash at 67 then I set full power to 65 for 1 minute and then the mash time and temp for say 60 minutes at say 600 watts. So once it hits the 65 I dough in, the heat coming in balances the cold grain and it continues fairly steady then. Repeat for any other step ups. This seems to minimise overshoots , even if not adding grain say during mash out.

I must say i found it a little frustrating also, i am going to write a clearer set of instructions so i can clear it up...
I'll send you a copy when its done

Attachments

• 2021-Keg-King-Guten-40L-Program-Guide.pdf
    405.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
@Mitchoor
Very kind, I haven't gone any where near the reminders for hop additions. I just set a reminder on the phone for that.
Saving the programs is odd as well.

I’m in the process of by passing the Guten controller and putting a grainfather Bluetooth control box with longer cables so I can have the controller away from the Guten. Also I won’t have to stand on my head to access it

I'm thinking of doing this when my inability to bend down or if I get frustrated with fine control of the Guten.

I was looking at the smartPID too but when you look at about $300 compared to $100 with a hell of a lot less programming to get it going....well you know what I went for. (Also considering the 125k recipes in grainfather app and the interface with brewfather

@Ballaratguy Not really that familiar with grainfather or the app and haven't used brewfather either. Agreed it's expensive but powerful. Can't see myself straying too far from any brew really.

About the only benefit that I can see with the smartPID is that it’s wifi
The advantage with the gf is that it is cabled (have to lengthen the probe wires) and it has an angled screen
Wifi would have been nice but the Bluetooth will still work for me as I don’t go far from the brewery when I’m brewing

where are you getting the brewfather one for $100? Is it 15A capable?

15A maybe it uses a standard IEC (computer style lead)
I just kept an eye out on eBay gumtree & Facebook market place and a faulty one came up (just needed an new lcd screen). Cost me about $100 all up with new screen and some leads

I must say i found it a little frustrating also, i am going to write a clearer set of instructions so i can clear it up...
I'll send you a copy when its done
I have posted the file with the step by step in it, i did it as a dry run twice and its worked well, let me know if this works and clears things up for you.

@Mitchoor

Good work, I'm wondering where you have posted the instructions so that I can have a read please?

Ahh I see that you attached it to post number 5 now.

I'll have a read.

@Mitchoor
Thanks they are very readable well done.
I've started adding a few other steps to my programs.
Use full power when raising temps but set it to 1 minute at about 1.5 degrees below the intended temp for mashing, it normally tries to overrun a bit and so ends up being bang on temp. Then next step is mash time at less watts then repeat for the next ramp ups. I've been doing a few " balanced mashes " with a 30 at 62 and 30 at 69 then mashout at 76.
I tend to start doughing in just before it reaches my 1 minute temp so that it can get balanced.
Worth playing with.

I'll attach it here then too, but i edited my original post and put it there...

Attachments

• 2021-Keg-King-Guten-40L-Program-Guide.pdf
    405.5 KB · Views: 43
Yeah i am playing around with settings, more then anything its a guide on how to program that can be printed out.
I had a nightmare with a batch last night but its all worked out ok in the end, learning is always fun.

@Mitchoor
I wasn't suggesting you'd left those ideas out with program schedules. I think the guide is good.
Especially the changing recipes bit and the how to save them. Previously I had modded the one program each time.

Here's a detailed SmartPID upgrade guide for the Hopcat/Guten. I love the idea of brewfather wifi integration!

Back