Guten 30 L

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw that Scoots cheers but after someone who has seen one in the flesh
or SS

As one can see in the video, the re-circulation leaves a lot to be desired, the wort is pumped to the top and most seems to go down the overflow pipe, not really circulating through the grain bed. what do the folks do who has the Grainfather or Robobrew? Give the grain bed a frequent stir?

I think the video says it is a customers video. Way too much flow going straight down the overflow. I would throttle back the return arm flow to get more flow through the grain bed. I sometimes stir my grain bed in my DIY 1V (only when the recirc is off) but have never seen anyone stir a grainfather as it is way too fiddly to get the top screen off during mash.

They did send me videos of its operation but they were rubbish, fill grain was just filling in the grain, boil was just the boil, mash didn't work, someone could make a deal, whereas a decent video of an abridged mash and boil could be exchanged for the 50l machine.I suppose it would be fiddly to pause the operation give a stir a few times during the mash.
I have got a good camera but the closest thing I have to a tripod is my old nickname.

wide eyed and legless said:
As one can see in the video, the re-circulation leaves a lot to be desired, the wort is pumped to the top and most seems to go down the overflow pipe, not really circulating through the grain bed. what do the folks do who has the Grainfather or Robobrew? Give the grain bed a frequent stir?
I dont stir my 1v and just adjust flow to suit (and have a lower return/whirlpool input to ensure sufficient flow over the element)

I dont think grainfather or robobrew brewers would bother stiring, defeats the purpose..
The central overflow is just an alternative to a lower return to ensure there is always wort flowing through the system and over the element, and there would still be a decent % of flow making its way through the grain bed

I have a braumonster/ brauclone up to around 20kg (I've done 16kg with still a bugger load of space in the malt pipe) grain and up to 80L brew length, depending on the malt bill size, I stir the mash a few times, but generally midway through mash out, yeah it's fiddly, but 90% efficiency on an IPA. If you go through the 'BM tips and tricks' this is mentioned a few times. Doing so nets an extra few points, but when your already in the 80's who cares. It's when yer shit is going sideways and your well low, this is a great get out of jail free card.

I do give mine a stir or two if I am pushing the limits of the grain bill, I stir between the pump breaks, otherwise the pump going off and on move the grain around.

The Guten 30l comes including a locking screen as partpart of a package at Keg King , excuse my ignorance but how essential is this screen, what does it do ?

Latest posts

Back