Guinness Tap Do They Need Less Preesure To Pour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
I gave a Guinness tap on my font for stout and found that it pours nothing but head, but when I swap taps the pour is fine, I am not running nitrogen, do these type of taps require less pressure, i.e more line length ?

as I have just replace all of my line if I want to extend it, what do people use to join or should I just by more line at start at 6mtrs instead of 3 ?

cheers
Matt

With the stout restrictor (little disc with pin holes) in they really do need the blended gas. Without the restrictor they can be used as a standard tap.
If you are after the true Guinness pour you need both the restrictor and the right gas, I find 70/30 N/CO2 works well at about 200 kPa, it takes several weeks to get the right amount of gas into solution so an expensive exercise in patience but good fun.
MHB

thanks, will see if I can remove the restrictor then, otherwise will be looking for another tap and snaplok connector.

cheers
Matt

never used one, but dont they need nitrogen as it stays in solution, where as CO2 turns to head?

Nope, Nitrogen is a whole lot less soluble than CO2 but what does become soluble when forced through a creamer tap forms the nice tight small bubbles that guive Guiness it's creamy smooth texture.

Lefty

You can carbonate with Co2 and still use a flow restrictor, pretty sure Bradsbrew does and has the same Guinness tap. However it will lack the velvety smooth mouth feel (and the fallout effect IIRC) that Guinness has. Be worth PM-ing him or he may spring up here and tell you how he does his. Be aware though that Co2 forms bigger bubbles and if you go down this path your stout will be flatter than expected as the disc has tiny holes that will release the Co2 out of the liquid. Not that it matters really as Guinness is not overly carbonated anyway.

I use N/Co2 Blend with a flow restrictor and found that if you carbonate with it you SHOULD/MUST pour with the same gas at a higher pressure, about 100kPa, as you have the resistance from the disc. If poured with only Co2 it will gradually take over the Nitrogen and you will be back to the same situation mentioned above.

To carbonate with the blend - 400kPa for 4 days at 4 deg does it pretty well spot on. I was getting the same consistent results a few years ago when I was brewing a lot of stouts.

HTH

Sully

I only use Co2. I think it runs at 80. I personally like the way it finishes with a nice creamy head and little carbonation. I would like to try the blend with one though. Lots of rolled oats in the mash give a nice velvety finish too. MMM I feel like a stout now....

Cheers Brad

P1030272.JPG

P1030273.JPG

P1030274.JPG

Back