Guiness Draft Blend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
I have a few bottles of rich coffee stout left, that my 12 year old helper did not cap properly, so consequently, half of them have been flat. :( I know for next time.
Anyway... to make for a slightly more pleasant experience, I decided to pour a glass of 50% fizzy pilsner and 50% coffee stout.
The result is was a wonderful suprise!
This is the closest I have ever tasted to a guiness draft in a home brew.
Even the lack of carbonation from the 50/50 slplit of flat beer to properly carbonated beer gives the illusion of nitrogen charging.

Well.. Im happy, anyway.

Does anyone know if Guiness draft we get in Australia is a blend, or is it one pure product?
I heard somewhere it is brewed under license with a megaswill as the base.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised. I mean there are the cans, bottles, and kegs which are [to my knowledge] apparently all different products.

I've packed it in and made my own stout. Blacker than Guinness, stronger malt/toffee/choc/mocha flavours...but just as smooth.

Interesting to hear that you've found a Guinness drink alike with a pils making up 50%! Might just have to try that with my stout and an upcoming pils...

On another note, I've found that black pilsners are quite nice, my last one being around 100g of Choc grain with 1500g of amber liquid malt and a pils can with some sazz hops [boiled and dry]. I'm sure its not technically a true 'black pils', but it came out quite nice all the same.

Cheers - boingk

Well if the rumours are true, Guinness is brewed as a blond beer, then it has 2-4% St James Gate flavour additive mixed in.

This is purportedly true of most of the Guinness brewed out side Ireland (and maybe Nigeria where the Guinness is made out of sorghum)

The secret flavour additive is supposed to be double strength stout, that is fermented out, then infected with Lacto and Acetic bacteria, when its sour enough its pasteurised, keged, then shipped around the world, where its mixed with locally produced blond beer.. well you get the picture.

MHB

Well if the rumours are true, Guinness is brewed as a blond beer, then it has 2-4% St James Gate flavour additive mixed in.

This is purportedly true of most of the Guinness brewed out side Ireland (and maybe Nigeria where the Guinness is made out of sorghum)

The secret flavour additive is supposed to be double strength stout, that is fermented out, then infected with Lacto and Acetic bacteria, when its sour enough its pasteurised, keged, then shipped around the world, where its mixed with locally produced blond beer.. well you get the picture.

MHB
Guinness brew what they call 'essence' in Dublin which is then shipped abroad. From what I can gather this is essentially extract. The sourness referred to above is no longer really a feature of Draught Guinness as this version of the beer has been continually dumbed down for both domestic and international markets. If you really want to taste Guinness as it used to be the bottled Extra Stout is nearer to the mark.

I've packed it in and made my own stout. Blacker than Guinness, stronger malt/toffee/choc/mocha flavours...but just as smooth.

Cheers - boingk

This brew sounds very interesting (and tasty!!) do you perchance have further details of the recipe available for sharing?

Cheers

Jim

Back