Guess What The Dog Did

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDJ

Reaction score
Dammit!! went away for a long weekend and came home only to find the dam dog had dug up my goldings rhizhome, it had been sitting above ground for 5 days in the sun and is all dried up and shriveled (was covered in dried sprouts) :( Ive put it in a pot of soil and and keeping it moist to see if it will grow though I dont hold much hope for it.
If anyone has a spare goldings rhizome I will gladly pay for it

try ebay mate , some zomes goin cheaper now than they were a few months back, my goldings is still hiding under the dirt, could be worse arent hops poisonous to dogs ??

hairofthedogs dog did the same thing friday night, enuff to bring a grown man to tears innit.

Hops are poisonous to dogs, lethal in fact. Although most recorded fatalities are from eating spent hops from the kettle, if you have a dog, you would be silly not fence the hops off.

Hops are also dangerous to dogs when they dig them up and owner clobbers dog with rolled-up newspaper!! :p

Hops are poisonous to dogs, lethal in fact. Although most recorded fatalities are from eating spent hops from the kettle, if you have a dog, you would be silly not fence the hops off.

Serious? Darn, I have no way of fencing mine off so perhaps they'll have to be pulled out already. They've only just started to pop their heads up too!

EDIT: :(

My advice is Watch the buy it now prices on exortion bay. Got a Hallertau for $15 with free postage last night and a Hersbrucker for $25 the other day so they're all coming down in price (there were two Hallertaus left last night but they looked kinda flimsy compared to the one I got). Quality at this end of the growing season might be getting questionable.

Sandy at HopCo had plenty of Pride of Ringwoods going a couple of weeks back (50 rhizomes I recall) so that might be another option, but sounds like you're committed to the Goldings. Didn't see many of them and they were for bidding.

If your hop plant is not fully dried out soak it in a bucket of water over night, then put it back in the ground (it can work with grape vines cuttings I've found, but never had one dug out I admit). Or just evenly drain plenty of water on it and cross your fingers, you might be ok. And fence off that hop from the pooch!

Hopper.

It's true about Hops and Dogs. Didn't realise but just did a quick search and found this on gardenweb.com:

"Hops Toxicity in Dogs:
Brewer's Alert
We have received a report from a brewer whose dog died as a result of eating the spent hops from a 15-gallon batch of Irish Stout. Unbeknownst to most vets, at least eight cases of hop toxicity in dogs have been recorded by the National Animal Poison Control Center at the University of Illinois in Urbana, IL. Seven of the dogs have been Greyhounds, with one remaining case being a Labrador Retriever cross. Ingestion of hops results in malignant hyperthermia, an uncontrollable fever. The first symptom to become obvious to an owner is heavy panting. Tachycardia (rapid heartbeat) will also be present, at up to 200 beats per minute. Temperature may rise as quickly as a 2 degrees F every five minutes. Carbon dioxide levels in the blood rise dramatically. Recommended treatment seems to be cold water baths to keep temperatures down, and a quick trip to the vet for temperature control and antibiotics.

Hops cause dogs to lose control of their temperature and they can overheat and die in a nasty way. Some breeds are more affected than others. Probably the risk of a plant is low, dogs are much more likely to eat hops dripping in sweet malt from the kettle than bitter ones on a plant. But it would only take a couple of waratahs and a bit of wire netting to put your mind at rest.

cannabacae told me he had one .. give him a PM and see if its still available.

Dammit!! went away for a long weekend and came home only to find the dam dog had dug up my goldings rhizhome,

Sorry for your loss SDJ but another good reason why (Besides saving the planet) not to have a dog (Or a cat) in the first place.
I have neither & the wildlife come into my garden at will all the time & I love it. :super:
End of Crusade For a Better World. :D

TP :beer:

i'll be waiting for the "possum's ate my hops" post then TP ;)

Sorry for your loss SDJ but another good reason why (Besides saving the planet) not to have a dog (Or a cat) in the first place.
I have neither & the wildlife come into my garden at will all the time & I love it. :super:

It's also better for the planet to not have a PC, a refrigerator, make beer, and well, have a house.

So save the planet, lets leave our homes, throw away our technology, give up the drink and live like hippies!

Oh Sh#t, I forgot to put on my flame suit. :lol:
Do a Google & find out how many tonnes of dog\cat shit pollute this country right now as well as the number of native wildlife species dogs\cats have brought to\are bringing to extinction by domestic as well as feral animals.
My flame suit is well & truly on & engaged. :lol:

PS ---- Sorry about that Banjo. :(

+1
I love dogs and cats but haven't had either for several years and now have a family of magpies, butcher birds and the occasional mob of spangled drongos (in season) who know that I'm a soft touch for meat offcuts and the odd bit of mince. And since starting partials and dumping the spent grain in the veg garden there's a couple of cute rats hanging around after dark :lol: :lol:

Just need clarification.

It's the actual hops isnt it(oils)? not the leaves stalks etc?

Hops are also dangerous to dogs when they dig them up and owner clobbers dog with rolled-up newspaper!! :p

I seriously thought about kicking the dog that hard in the arse it would walk on its front legs for a week!! however I love the old girl and its not in my nature, still no walk this week!! :angry:

My advice is Watch the buy it now prices on exortion bay. Got a Hallertau for $15 with free postage last night and a Hersbrucker for $25 the other day so they're all coming down in price (there were two Hallertaus left last night but they looked kinda flimsy compared to the one I got). Quality at this end of the growing season might be getting questionable.

Sandy at HopCo had plenty of Pride of Ringwoods going a couple of weeks back (50 rhizomes I recall) so that might be another option, but sounds like you're committed to the Goldings. Didn't see many of them and they were for bidding.

If your hop plant is not fully dried out soak it in a bucket of water over night, then put it back in the ground (it can work with grape vines cuttings I've found, but never had one dug out I admit). Or just evenly drain plenty of water on it and cross your fingers, you might be ok. And fence off that hop from the pooch!

Hopper.

Thanks HM, got a POR and a victoria in the now fenced portion of the back yard, my favorite beer is English county bitter and its all Goldings. have soaked rhizome in water and planted it in a pot.

I love my old dog and I love cats, couldnt eat a whole one though :p its not cous cous, its puss puss

Back