Grumpys Kilkenny Clone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, toast some light crystal - I may as well take over the whole kitchen now - thanks for the idea

Might also take you up on the suggestion of the wheat DME

That 500gm of crystal does seem a lot for my taste, might take the suggestion of Amber from Trough Lolly and use 50/50 crystal and amber.

morry said:
Snow, just wondering what sort of malt extract is used? Is it light or amber? And how much hops are we talking here? Is EBC crystal grains any different to normal crystal grain?
Thanks
Morry,

I used Light DME for the extract and Caraaroma for the grains, which is a dark crystal at about 350 EBC, I think. EBC is the colour rating, not the brand. For hops, I used 18g Northern Brewer (9.5% AA) and 25g Challenger (7% AA) for bittering and 20g Goldings and 10g Fuggles for flavour and aroma.

Cheers - Snow

Well, I headed down to the brewshop today and bought the ingredients.
Will get the yeast starter on soon. Just wondering, in the grumpys procedure, it tells you to add everything and boil for 30 mins. I thought grain had to be steeped, not boiled? Is this right?

Generally it should be steeped, but this method seems to work in this case. i guess it isn't boiled long enough to have a dominating tannin effect.

- Snow

Thanks Snow, that makes sense. Im looking forward to this brew. Ive tried two kilkenny clones thus far, hopefully its a case of 3rd time lucky.

Hi There,

I made up my first Grumpy's Extrabrew - Kilkenny clone, last night, followed the included instructions, and when I did a Original Gravity test. I got 1036.

This seems low, doesn't it? What could have cause this?

Or did I just get the wrong reading, and should try again, this arvo?

Cheers,
Jase

After a couple of days on sitting on 24-26 degrees, I put the ferementer in an old fridge, on Sunday, with a wet towel and ice bricks, and have managed to get the temp down to 18 degrees, activity has stopped. The gravity is 1014. It has been five days.

I decided to have a smell and taste of the brew, and was a bit surprised. It didn't smell and taste too good, quite bad actually. Not kilkenny or grumpys quality.

I followed the instructions to perfection, and am a bit suprised. I can not work it out. The only thing that I can think of, is that the kilkenny bag was open when I received it, and there was grain on the bottom of the box, and no I didn't use that grain. Any ideas on what the problems, or am I just being paranoid? I am disappointed ATM.

Also,in the past the local HBS guy suggest that I shouldn't rack, as I am kegging and it was practically the same. Any suggestions?

24-26 degrees is pretty high. I try and keep ales at 18-22. I put mine on yesterday and it has been between there for both days.

Jase

I rack everything - much better.
I also keg - but still rack and cc for 2 weeks as well - prior to bottling - kegging.

Mines been fermenting for 24 hrs now and the specific gravity is 1.040. I tasted a little and its seeming promising at the moment? What are people recommendations for carbonation? These style beers usually seem to have pretty low carbonation.

Guys,

Just wondering if any of you have ever tried grumpys kilkenny clone? I have been brewing kit recipes up till now and I wouldnt mind giving a extract brew a go. Heres the link if any of you want to comment about it:

http://www.grumpys.com.au/r1.php3?recipeid=11

Cheers,
Sean

I want it!....and the link aint workin'....that's a problem.....now I need my medication! Help! :blink:

Latest posts

Back