Grumpy's Belgian Wheat - Hoegaarden Wit Copy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
Just tried my Grumpy's Belgian Wheat - Hoegaarden Wit copy
made with the dried orange peel from grain and grape

what a super brew , very close to the genuine drop
well worth the effort

6 weeks in the bottle and very nice , no chance it will age , because it will go quick

however will keep some to sample each month to know if it needs to be drunk fresh , not a problem , just need to know

Rod

Any kinda of wheat beer is best fresh. I'd keep :chug:

Just tried my Grumpy's Belgian Wheat - Hoegaarden Wit copy
made with the dried orange peel from grain and grape

what a super brew , very close to the genuine drop
well worth the effort

6 weeks in the bottle and very nice , no chance it will age , because it will go quick

however will keep some to sample each month to know if it needs to be drunk fresh , not a problem , just need to know

Rod

Is this brew in the recipes page of this site?, If not where did you find it?

Great photo Alex. Where is it from? I checked out grumpy's site too. Thanks for that Wal

Well, I found it at the Wikipedia. It is a roundabout in Hoegaarden, Belgium. ;)

Alex

I have been looking for a hoegaarden brew recipe to put down. Its getting the right amount of cumin, corriander and orange peel that worries me. my LHBS can help me with a Kit and wheat malt. In regards to hoegaarden what Hops are used? Im very sure that the beer is not overly hopped. Some people have suggested saaz, gouldings and fuggles. Any ideas guys.

Hops should take a definite backseat in a wit. Anything noble (saaz, hallertau are fine) or neutral as a small bittering addition only should be fine. It's going to be hard to replicate the raw wheatiness and light colour of hoegaarden with kits and extract.

If you have 2 fermenters; split the core ingredients and try different amounts of orange peel and spices to find your favoured recipe.

I have just tried a hoegaarden clone type beer, I have used a Muntons wheat beer kit, boiled 2ltrs of water, 15gm of coriander seeds crushed, 2 table spoons orange skin, 500gm dried wheat malt extract and 12gm tetnangerhops for 20 minutes, then rested for 20 minutes. Added 500gm dextrose..... Oh yeh i just used the Muntons yeast with the kit.
Fermented like a rocket, the gravity was down at 1014 after only 2 days, has a nice smell to it. Cant wait to try it out

I did the G&G recipe a while back and added 5g extra orange peel during secondary coz I thought it needed it. Turned out very well indeed
I used the Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit that needed a little encouragement to bring it down those last few points.
A word of caution, dont eat potato wedges with sour cream and sweet chili sauce whilst drinking this, the aftertaste is well... interesting.

Tried this for the first time last night at the local Ivanhoe pub which has it on tap. Really liked this one and would like to try a similar one myself.
Do G&G have their own recipe for this one?? I can call in there friday on my way home
Cheers
Mantis

Edit: Found the G&G recipes for this and will give the extract and mini mash a go

Back