Growing Hops -- Is It Worth The Effort?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billvelek

Reaction score
This past weekend I tilled my garden and am trying to figure out what I'll plant. It's about 5,400 square feet (1/8th acre), so I have plenty of room to do whatever I want; I could expand it even more if necessary. I still have 25 gallons of watermelon juice in my freezer because I haven't had the time to make my wine yet (too many things preoccupying me). Anyway, with my family becoming smaller (6 kids moved out and only 2 left), and tiring of canning and freezing so much, and my youngest son becoming less interested in selling produce for his spending money, I've been thinking of doing something different and planting either some grape vines or hop plants, or maybe both. I've never grown either one, but I've usually done very well with gardening with other things.

I've only made a few batches of wine over the years, but have brewed quite a few batches of beer over the past 8 to 10 years, and am now doing all grain. I've been planning my dream 'HERMS' system, too, so I've been much more partial to beer than wine -- although I wouldn't mind delving much more deeply into that, as well. Of course, neither one depends upon my garden, so whatever I choose to do won't really limit my options, but inasmuch as plantings of this sort are long-term investments -- taking a few years to mature -- I'm seeking a little advice before I make that sort of commitment. I've done some research on the Internet about growing hops, but haven't found the sort of answers or advice I'm seeking. I guess what I'm looking for is something like a poll or consensus as to whether growing hops is worth the trouble. When I compare it to growing vegetables, I can easily answer that for all the trouble, our vegetables taste better than commercial produce, and save us a pile of money. Regarding hops, from what I've read the taste doesn't seem to be a factor and in fact is problematic when trying to follow a recipe because of the variation in bittering units. Storage also seems to be much more of a problem than produce. I also wonder about the amount of work that goes into growing, harvesting, drying, and storing hops; I don't mind spending lots of time picking produce, but I'm wondering about having to use a ladder to pick hops -- or is there an easier way. I guess what I'm asking is how many folks have grown their own hops, only to eventually quit because they decided that it really isn't worth the effort? I don't know ... maybe the only way to tell is to try it myself.

Finally, I haven't read anything yet about compatibility with other plants; i.e., if I plant some hop bines in my garden, should I avoid proximity with any other plants in particular?

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers, Bill Velek
Join "HomeBrewers" international grid-computing team and help mankind by donating spare computer power for medical research such as cancer; we're in the top 14%, and gaining on MillerTime team: http://tinyurl.com/b7ofs

A lot will depend on your latitude - greater than 30 is considered to be crucial to getting a decent crop. I haven't got a decent crop in Perth yet and haven't heard anyone else in this town with any amazing stories. I suspect 35 degrees or more would be better.

This is my plant's second year in current location - I had to move it the winter before that - and I am a little discouraged by its mediocre growth. The cutting I took last year is doing almost as well as its mummy. By looking at the buds now forming, I estimate that I will get no more than 50g dried flowers from it. Ever the optimist, I am hoping for better crops as it establishes and as the cuttings I take each year start to contribute to the harvest.

Harvesting is made easier by training your bines vertically no higher than picking height and then along a horizontal wire. You should be able to cope without a ladder then.

Like you say unknown bittering units will be an issue but once you get an idea of roughly how bitter your hops are, I doubt they will vary more than a few tenths of a percent from year to year. I have used mine only for flavouring/aroma.

Storage is no drama really. I just dry them and store them airtight in the frig. If you had cryovac, even better. I don't yet grow enough for it to be a problem.

No info on planting compatibility, but interested in any replies you get on this.

Is it worth the effort? I don't really do it to make my brewing cheaper or better. It just combines two of my favourite things - gardening and brewing. And it really isn't that much effort. So I reckon give it a go.

Hi Bill
I dont think they will ever replace buying hops. But if I have someone over and they are tasting new beers and they say "where does the fruity taste in this APA come from?", I like the idea of going over to my chinook plant, pulling a flower off and saying have a sniff of that.

I dont know if they are officially companion plants, but I grow mine between tomatoes and chillies, as in the pic below, and they are growing well for Perth. In the heat we get in Perth watering is important. They useful thing about the tomatoes is that if you arent watering enough they will immediately show signs of wilting. The hops dont show any major sign, they just dont grow as well. So I water according to what the tomatoes tell me and that seems to suit the hops just fine.

I had a whitefly infestation on the tomatoes this year (which I dont do anything for, they dont do much damage to healthy plants) but the whitefly werent interested in the hops, they seem pretty hardy.

hopstomatoes.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I'll respond to everything in this one single post.

1. There is definitely a lot of information on the Internet to provide answers regarding planting and care of the hops; my question was more along the lines of whether folks who have tried it are glad that they did. I've received a mixed response, with many saying that they've abandoned their plants and some have had a time trying to get rid of them. But it seems that the majority are happy they ventured into growing, not because of the money but because they enjoy it and the fresh hops which they claim improves their brew. I have therefore committed myself to doing this.

2. My lattitude is about 20 to 25 miles North of 35 degrees (in the U.S.A.), which should be the same as about 32 to 40 km South of 35 for you down under. But I've been assured that if I take care of my plants, that my location should not be a problem.

3. I have been persuaded to build an arbor of sorts rather than just string them up to a cable between masts. I figured on going up to about 8 feet (2.4m) and then run horizontally; I've considered whether that will make it a pain in the neck -- literally -- to harvest -- having to look up -- and whether I could/should place a temporary movable platform under the arbor during harvest time, so that I can stand on it and harvest at a height closer eye-level. Now I'm wondering if it might be just as well to make the arbor itself just as tall as eye-level. I don't need it for sitting in the shade because we have plenty of trees, etc. As long as it's tall enough for me to run the lawnmower underneath, I think it should work. I'd just need to be sure that I can walk between the horizontal runs, and I don't know how much the bines tend to try to jump from one to the other. How about if I space them about a meter apart; will they cross over?

4. As for compatibility with other plants, I've gotten mixed info. One fellow almost talked me out of trying this because he stated that hops are _VERY_ susceptible to tomato wilt, even to the point of not being able to plant in the same ground where tomatos had grown in the past three years, and that my hops should be upwind of any tomato plants because the airborne spores can carry the wilt to the hops. I grow about 36 tomato plants each year, so that was an issue. The statement that they've been grown right next to tomatoes is therefore very encouraging.

Thanks.

Cheers, Bill Velek
Join "HomeBrewers" international grid-computing team and help mankind by donating spare computer power for medical research such as cancer; we're in the top 8%, and we beat the MillerTime team: http://tinyurl.com/b7ofs The life that your computer can help save ... might be someone you love.

I also grow my plant in the same vegie patch as my tomatoes, pumpkins, basil, chives. No dramas. As guest lurker said I also water according to how my tomatoes are looking..and also had lots of whitefly which werent interested in the hops. All good.
Cheers
Steve

billvelek said:
One fellow almost talked me out of trying this because he stated that hops are _VERY_ susceptible to tomato wilt, even to the point of not being able to plant in the same ground where tomatos had grown in the past three years, and that my hops should be upwind of any tomato plants because the airborne spores can carry the wilt to the hops.
[post="108890"][/post]​

Well its only been two seasons, and I dont often get wilt in the tomatoes, but hopefully thats not the case. This year I actually let the hop laterals go into the tomatoes, and it saved me a lot of hassle tying the tomatoes up. This tomato plant is about 6 ft tall, and completely supported by hops coming down from above.

hoptomato.jpg

Can tell you're not Italian GL. :lol:

Prune those pomadores boy! They're looking a bit bushy. :beerbang:

Warren -

First year, my dad grew the hops in a big pot in his yard.

There were no problems at all.

He is a tomatoe nut. We get sick of eating tomatoes by the end of the season.

Here he is with one of his "small" plants. :D

MVC_015F.JPG

warrenlw63 said:
2 words for you Johnno....

Green Pickles. :rolleyes:

Warren -
[post="108903"][/post]​
Plenty of that goes on Warren. Green tomatoes, peppers, carrots and a variety of other stuff in a garlic and vinegar pickle.

Top beer snack. :beerbang:

johnno

Blood oath! :) We do our own onions on the odd occasion.

I have a yearning to pickle eggs one day too. :beerbang:

Sorry about going OT folks.

Warren -

Back