Growing Hops From A Cutting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So youve got earwigs everywhere to BP?

Decimated!

White Oil, Garlic and Soap sprays, nothing really helping. Especially since the sun toasted all the remaining weakened hop bines.

Chickens were not doing there job :) I ended up going through the garden up turning tons of rocks, bricks, etc. and must have flushed over a hundred earwigs. Finally the chooks got wise and had a feast.

Need to get me some big rhizomes to make anything of it as the cuttings are too weak for a transplant. I've only got 2 cascade cuttings which are destined for only indoor plants for the time being. Just trying to make rhizomes now.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

View attachment 33228

this is a picture of a cutting i took about this time last year
fairly good growth

edit: i got more flowers of this than the rhizome the cutting was taken from which was in its frist year
cheer's

(Jaw hits floor). Geez Matho if your purple magic solution can do that to a cutting I've gotta get me some. :)

Decimated!

White Oil, Garlic and Soap sprays, nothing really helping. Especially since the sun toasted all the remaining weakened hop bines.

Chickens were not doing there job :) I ended up going through the garden up turning tons of rocks, bricks, etc. and must have flushed over a hundred earwigs. Finally the chooks got wise and had a feast.

Need to get me some big rhizomes to make anything of it as the cuttings are too weak for a transplant. I've only got 2 cascade cuttings which are destined for only indoor plants for the time being. Just trying to make rhizomes now.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

You using earwig traps?

I've got some takeaway containers complete with lids - holes cut in them - half full of used cooking oil.
The earwigs love it and drown in the oil.
I have them spaced around my vegy patch and the in-ground hops.

Same sort of oil tubs I use on the legs of my hives to keep nasties out. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys, esp on earwigs. Lost all my beans, root veg and fennel to them in the last month. Bastards. Will try the oil... Still in the air about taking the cutting. Maybe I should hang onto the shoot incase another one dies in the current weather.

this is what i use to take cuttings

plant1.jpg

i have four cascades going hopefully ready to transplant in a week or 2

plant2.jpg

i find the leaf size to be a toss up between growth and water loss, the bigger the leaf the fast the cutting grows roots but you have to be carefull of it getting dry.With larger leafs than these i cut of one.
i keep them near a northern facing window, keep them fairly wet for the first week or so and then start to open up the vents on the green house, as soon as i see roots coming out the bottom (2 - 3 weeks) i transplant them into larger pots and put them out side and water them like my other hops, maybe a bit more if needed.

cheer's matho

Back