Moving to NW Tas from Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 19677

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm originally a Tasmanian who moved away 20 odd years ago. I'm heading back with the wife to start a family, and we've chosen to move back to Riana, where I was from 0-6 years of age. Life moves in circles, etc.

While I was traipsing about I learned the fine art of brewing. I started on the terrible tins, and have since moved to all grain, kegs, etc.

I usually buy my grain in 'bulk' here. Around 50-100kg of base malt at a time, and 5kg's of my specialties.

Reading over the forums it looks like buying from Hobart and getting it shipped up will be my best bet? And possibly getting things from Melb when I need them?

Probably look at using the good soil down there to grow some of my own hops. But figuring out the logistics of all that should probably be on a whole new post, haha.

So sound off, NW brewers?! Anyone in the Riana/Penguin area?

Good to see there will be another brewer in the NW. I now buy my base malt in Launceston as we have not had a bulk buy in a number of years. I get some of my specialities there also otherwise use Craftbrewer. Hops I buy in kilo lots from a mainland supplier (who does not sell to individuals).

Hey ianh,

I get my hops delivered from Cheeky Peak here in 1 kg lots too. Figured I'd continue to do the same, but not sure about their policy sending to Tas as I know it can be tough to get stuff through some times.

I'd read on some older posts here that the shop in Lonnie was often out of grain. I assume that isn't the case anymore? Bit closer than Hobart if that's the case, haha.

Yeah, I checked when the last bulk buy was, seems like it was some time ago now. That's why I figured I'd ask what the locals are doing for their ingredients!

Cheer, Ben

Welcome (back) to the area! I'm currently in Penguin (moving to Ulverstone soon).

I'm also buying most of my base malts from Launceston. They've got a reasonable range and standard prices. Sometimes I get my specialty malts there, mostly via the net. Hops and yeast I almost always get online from wherever the best deals are. Its worth jumping on the Launceston and Hobart home brew club pages if you're on Facebook - there's plenty of good brewers there, plus some good deals announced every now and again.

I'd recommend growing your own hops! Mine are in their first year and going gangbusters. I'll be harvesting sometime in the next fortnight.

Hey julz7250!

Sounds like Launceston is the go then. You make the trip or do they deliver out our way?

I'll take a look on Facebook, hate the layout of those pages, but it is what it is. Easier for the less tech savvy to figure out I guess.

Ah! A grower of hops, excellent. I'm in 'planning mode' so I'm trying to figure out how many plants of each variety I'd need for a years worth of brewing. So a couple questions for you!

1. How many plants do you have in?
  2. How many batches (20L say) you reckon a single plant will give you of standardish Pale?
  3. Where did you get them from? Someone sell them local or did you 'import' them?
Cheers!

Ben

I've talked to them about freight before - it wasn't too expensive. I haven't needed to bother to this point. We've got lots of family in Launie so we're down there often.

I'm not sure how much I can give you on hops. Being my first go I'm just stumbling through.

I've got three plants (two Columbus, one Cascade), all in individual pots. I've run them up to our second story balcony and along the railing. Watering is by timer and I give them a feed every couple of weeks. I got the rhizomes from a bloke in the Launie home brew group who advertised them through Facebook.

I don't know what harvest will be like. Being first year I'm not expecting heaps. If I get a kilo I'll brew a full (20L) batch and use them all wet. If I get any less I'll drop my batch size.

Last year I picked up off gumtree 1/2kg of flowers from some guy in Latrobe who didn't know what to do with them. I brewed a full 20L batch but the hop character wasn't as strong as I'd have liked.

Hey amanimmortal

I’m expected to be moving down to Wynyard towards the end of this year from Melbourne.

Might try shoot you a message when I do if your interested. I’m really keen on trying to meet some brewers to enjoy the hobby with!

I also plan on trying to grow hops as well so would be awesome to see how it’s worked out for you.

Hey all, I'm originally a Tasmanian who moved away 20 odd years ago. I'm heading back with the wife to start a family, and we've chosen to move back to Riana, where I was from 0-6 years of age. Life moves in circles, etc.

While I was traipsing about I learned the fine art of brewing. I started on the terrible tins, and have since moved to all grain, kegs, etc.

I usually buy my grain in 'bulk' here. Around 50-100kg of base malt at a time, and 5kg's of my specialties.

Reading over the forums it looks like buying from Hobart and getting it shipped up will be my best bet? And possibly getting things from Melb when I need them?

Probably look at using the good soil down there to grow some of my own hops. But figuring out the logistics of all that should probably be on a whole new post, haha.

So sound off, NW brewers?! Anyone in the Riana/Penguin area?

We are also contemplating a retirement move to Tassy probably in the Hobart region and was wondering if there is a good local grain, liquid yeast and Hop supplier or do you use suppliers from the mainland ?

was wondering if there is a good local grain, liquid yeast and Hop supplier or do you use suppliers from the mainland ?
Bit of a mixed bag for me but I use Brew By You for all the local stuff - https://www.brewbyyou.com.au/ - then you have your pick of the crop for online suppliers for those things that local don't stock, just watch out for freight costs because it's typically a little higher for us Taswegions (not always but sometimes that Bass Strait tax kicks in)!

Back