home grown

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theredone

Reaction score
gents, i planted some hops about a month ago here in BNE, if just noticed a couple of shoots coming through on one lot. bit early isnt it? should i be concerned?

further, when i initially planted i put them in a 50/50 top soil/manuer mix that filled the large pots about 3/4 way up. but with a bit of rain its compacted down alot and id like to top up to give foots a bit more room to expand out. should i do that now or wait untill they realy start to shoot and get going?

thanks

red

gents, i planted some hops about a month ago here in BNE, if just noticed a couple of shoots coming through on one lot. bit early isnt it? should i be concerned?

further, when i initially planted i put them in a 50/50 top soil/manuer mix that filled the large pots about 3/4 way up. but with a bit of rain its compacted down alot and id like to top up to give foots a bit more room to expand out. should i do that now or wait untill they realy start to shoot and get going?

thanks

red

Don't bury them too deep. So maybe wait till they get going before putting more mix on them. Visible shoots are always good.

I think your main concern could be water logging due to the quantity of manure in your mix and the fact they're in pots, so just keep an eye on them.

Thanks for that, yeah I’ve got like 5-6 shoots come ing through now. We don’t really get frost up here so I was going to let them grow to about a foot before trimming them back, thought it might help to get some sunlight to help with toot establishment. I’ll then continue to trim back till it warms up a bit more. Maybe October ish

If you train them up string as soon as they start growing you will get an earlier crop.

Back