Group Barley Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried topaz? Nice hop, heaps of AA

I think go for a generic recipe, and let the yeasts speak for themselves.

Aussie hops ... VIC Secret?

I don't use high-alpha hops usually, so have no experience/opinion on these.

Aside: Wikipedia says Summer has "light apricot and melon fruit notes", that might work really well in a wheat beer.

I'm not much of a hop-head, so being bereft of other ideas: Fuggles?

Vic secret would be good. Havn't used that before
for the initial bittering charge, I would not be getting too concerned about the hop type, I would be going just for AA.

With a beer that is likely to be so malt dominant, Id be happy with anything,

I am sure it has been said, but I think we are going to need a starting gravity of 1.100

and like I said before, I am not opposed to topping up with liquid pale extract to get to the gravity, and some sugar to help reach FG even if I feed it 3/4 the way through fermentation.

Gingerbrew said:
Dry yeast is probably a good idea, much easier to buy a few packs instead of growing up a huge starter.

This is the recipe I have so far. Please have some input into this because I've never brewed a Barley wine before and I pretty much made this up. No hops yet, I was thinking of bittering to about 70-90 IBU. No idea of which hops to use. Aussie (Galaxy) or NZ hops? Or American or English.

Group Barley Wine
American Barley wine

Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 180.00 l Boil Size: 200.00 l
Boil Time: 120 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 % Est Mash Efficiency 60.0 %

Est Original Gravity: 1.090 SG Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.0 %

Ingredients
Amt
60.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) 71.4 %
15.00 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) 17.9 %
5.00 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) 6.0 %
1.00 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) 1.2 %
1.00 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (216.7 EBC) 1.2 %
2.00 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) 2.4 %

Total Grain Weight: 84.00 kg
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out - Infusion 64C
Good start on the recipe Pete.
My feeling is that the dark crystal is not needed, given the choc malt? anyway it is a discussion point.

as a contrast I have recipes for other barleywines
stone old guardian which has pale and crystal only
nogne100 which has pale, wheat and choc only.

I have no care about colour or anything like that, but more looking at it from a KISS perspective.

Also, do we have a date penciled in. I can do midweek if needed.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Yeah, simplifying the recipe is not a bad idea to let the yeasts showoff a bit more. Something similar to the Old Guardian?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Bump up the Pale to 97% with 3% Dark Crystal? Or 3% Choc? I don't think wheat would offer much. Maybe some Munich? And we will shoot for 1.100, if we go too far under, adding some sugar mid way through the ferment is a great idea for a gravity bump.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Malt extract is definitely in the contingency plan. I was thinking of using DME though, as using bittered/hopped liquid extracts may be tricky. Can we get unhopped liquid extract easily?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]As for hops, I’ve never used Vic secret, but I would be really hesitant to use it for bittering as it has a huge co-humulone percentage (51-56%) which is not good. All of the high AA% aussie hops have high co-humolone, great for aroma but not so good for bittering.Maybe a dedicated American Bittering hop like Horizon or Warrior? Or maybe go NZ hops like Pacfic Jade? How about we dump a heap of Galaxy in at the end for a flavour and Aroma punch (S&W pacific ale-barley wine [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]J[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt])? We can use a heap as most of it will drop out as we age it.[/SIZE]

I don't have a concrete idea on a recipe, i was just throwing a few ideas out there.

I am fine with your base of pale and munich, and the crystal/choc for colour/flavour i would not be going more than those 4 malts.

Lets see what others say.

unhopped wort is very easy to come by, every HBS would have it. coopers make, light, amber, pils, wheat
Good rule of thumb is, if the tin comes with yeast, it is hopped.

thanks for the tips on the hops, I am not massivly aware of the bittering / aroma numbers.

Final(?) list of yeasts - Pretty good selection I reckon!

Pete - Lager
Josh - English (007, 1098 or Dry)
KT - Wyeast 3463 - Forbidden Fruit (Nice choice!)
Marc - Old Ale
Jay - safale US-05
Brock - Saison
Ben - Brett

Pete - Lager
Josh - WhiteLabs WLP007 Dry English Ale
KT - Wyeast 3463 - Forbidden Fruit (Nice choice!)
Marc - Old Ale
Jay - safale US-05
Brock - Saison
Ben - Brett

If we're keeping the recipe simple, how about

Marris Otter 95 %
Crystal 5%

Simcoe is a good smooth bitterer. Whatever hop we choose, we'll probably need at least 1kg.

Ah, I missed your recipe before posting Pete. Looks good.

One issue though, I assume we'll be no-chilling. That much galaxy at 10min might be dangerous.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Yeah, you're spot on about the no-chilling and problems with Galaxy. I meant it to be a 1min-knockout addition, but put it in for 10mins as a rough equivalence for bitterness calculations.

We'll need shedloads of hops. If we go with warrior, we can get a pound from Nikobrew for $13.20 plus shipping. Does anyone have any plans to buy some other hops from the US (my freezer is chockers..)? Save on shipping and you can get upto 2kg pretty cheaply. Galaxy we could get through Craftbrewer or possibly Duane.

Mr Wibble said:
I'd be happier if we got everything (possible) through Duane - we're using his equipment after all.
I think that is the appropriate thing to do.

I think we should also include Duane in the swap of beers too, so he can get a share of the beers as well.

[SIZE=10pt]Thumbing through the Barley Wine classic beer styles book, they make reference for using no more than 15% specialty grain and 2% dark/roasted grains. I would put Munich[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]in the specialty category for a beer this big also, I guess it depends on how long we plan to boil also. Boiling for longer can really intensify the flavours of the specialty malts and add a lot of colour. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Bittering hops – Warrior sounds good[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Aroma and flavour all Oz hops sound good, no experience with any of the hops mentioned so I will[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]My Idea[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]OG 1.100[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]IBU 90-100 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2-3hr boil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]85% Pale malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]10% Munich[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]5% Crystal ?? blend of light and dark[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Give or take on those percentages, although I do love the simplicity of brokersts recipe if we want to go the Marris Otter option.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I brewed Jamil's English Barley Wine about 6 months ago, still haven’t cracked the keg yet. Aprils meeting sounds just like the reason. I’ll bring it[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]and the classic styles book as well for discussion.[/SIZE]

Did i see from the other thread that this will be on May 15 - being a Thursday?

I am cool with that, but I am just checking

joshuahardie said:
Did i see from the other thread that this will be on May 15 - being a Thursday?

I am cool with that, but I am just checking
No, do it on a weekend. But probably around that time, if not a bit sooner.
After the April meetup though - Do you or anyone else have date preferences?
I've also had a chat with George, the butcher next door to Duanes. He want to get some ribs or something to smoke out the back of the shop when we do it.

If Duane can't get warrior, I'm sure he'll have something we can use. Magnum, super alpha, Simcoe or target are all options. Doesn't really matter what it is as long as it is high AA and low co-humulone. Any flavour that hasn't disappeared after an hour long boil will be well and truly masked by everything else. Just need to get the big IBUs.

In terms of a date, it's going to be a big day so will need to be a weekend.

Milling about 3 sacks of grain.
Mashing in.
2 hour mash
Potentially a slow sparge due to thick mash
2 hour boil

I wouldn't be surprised if it took 8 hours.

I have kids sports Saturday mornings but that can be flexible.

Something to consider is do we do it when the shop is open? Perhaps some promotion. Or are we more likely to scare customers away?

brockerst said:
Milling about 3 sacks of grain.
Mashing in.
2 hour mash
Potentially a slow sparge due to thick mash
2 hour boil

I wouldn't be surprised if it took 8 hours.
We better start early then.

Back