Grolsch Swingtops And Plastic Bottle Choice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efjay

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody is using the Grolsch style swing-top bottles with the original seals?

I have a few of these aswell as a couple of the 1.5 litre bottles which I was hoping to use in my first brew...

Also for anybody using softdrink style plastic bottles which have you found to be the best/worst? What sizes and how long have you found is a suitable time to keep the beer before it goes too flat?

I plan to use some plastic bottles until I'm comfortable brewing and it gives me time to "bottle up" with enough crown capped glass bottles.

Cheers!

A friend of mine uses the Grolsh bottles with great success. So long as you maintain and replace the seals as necessary, they're great.

Another friend uses PET softdrink bottles and despite the risk of lightstrike on the hops, he has no issues with them either. Just keep them somewhere completely dark.

For my own bottles (way back when I still bottled) I drank a lot of Tooheys Old.

Yeah I've used some of these and they work well.

No special sanitization over normal bottles and all is well (touch wood).

Haven't needed to replace seals yet!

I have used these from the start. Got my first lot just under 3 years ago.

Some of those had already been used by a homebrewer.

The seals have lasted since then.

They are very good and easy to use. So glad I dont have to cap.

Highly recommended.

cheers
johnno

Just wondering if anybody is using the Grolsch style swing-top bottles with the original seals?

efjay

I use the swing-tops for all my brews and would definately recommend them.

I replaced all the seals on the bottles I got when I started brewing just to be on the safe side.

There is a sealing capacity difference between the new and old.

The new seals can be got from your LHBS or on the net. Found these bottles excellent - especially when I overcarbonated my first kit with carb drops and had to release pressure six times before they settled. Now I bulk prime but still happy to keep with the Grolsch bottles.

Cheers, Hogan.

I have 270 Grolsch swing top for take away when it does not go or fit in the keg ;) only just over a third of them full at the moment <_< may sell some and buy another keg, 8 is not enough.

A friend of mine uses the Grolsh bottles with great success. So long as you maintain and replace the seals as necessary, they're great.

Another friend uses PET softdrink bottles and despite the risk of lightstrike on the hops, he has no issues with them either. Just keep them somewhere completely dark.
Thanks, I plan to box the bottles including a lid so there should be no impact from sun or artificial lights.
Temperature control becomes the only real concern (I think) as I can really only store them in the garage... unless I can box them and hide them in the house somewhere...... :ph34r:

Cheers,
eFJay

Thanks for the fast responses all, looks like I'm not planning anything that won't work out

Cheers,
eFJay

I use grolsh's as mentioned keep an eye on your seals otherwise you'll end up with some beer cordial (no carbonation) like my last batch

Gday efjay.

I use Schwelmer bottles with the swing-top lids (Like grolsch) and they are supurb but dont forget to sanitise the lids and seals.

Originally used some of the PET (Softdrink-Like) bottles in each brew to test them. Sure they are easy to bottle, but they were always inferior in both taste and carbonation (Flat tasting). I could only figure that some of the carbonation pressure was lost in expanding the plastic. (????)

I even tried increasing the sugar but only with a slight improvement.
I cant understand why "Coopers" recommend them in thier kits.

I do not use them any more.

I collected a lot of bottles by going to the local on Saturday or Sunday mornings and asked for permission to go through thier bottle bins. I guess i would have about 6 or 700 bottles in circulation now.

cheers.

I dont know where people are geting their Grolschies from. But I have had absolutley no problem with the original seals. Some of mine are probably over 5 years old as well.

They seem to last a very long time.

johnno

I've got 8 Grolsch 1.5l swingtops, never had a problem except that the speed filler (or whatever it's called) doesn't quite reach the bottom :angry:
In my shed somewhere I have about 2 dozen 500ml swingtops, must pull them out sometime.
I use them for historical interest, thats what I call it anyway, bottle up the brew and one in a swingtop, label and put away in a dark corner and forget, bring it out a few months later to see what 'that' brew was like.

I've got 8 Grolsch 1.5l swingtops, never had a problem except that the speed filler (or whatever it's called) doesn't quite reach the bottom :angry:

Attach it to a 2 metre length of food grade tube and Robert's your father's brother.

When I was on a one man drinking tour of Belguim (not for the weak of liver) a mad belgian scientist brewer told me that something happens on a molecular level and the gas in plastic bottles can escape through the wall if the pressure is at such and such a level.

Methnks it could be possible given air escapes through the walls of rubber tubes. Helium escapes through the skin of a balloon, not through the valve, I spose anything possible.

I have about 600 regular grolsh bottles and about 8 large grolsh bottles

I have to replace seals sometimes , you can tell when you open a crook one , no gas

sometimes when you bottle the seal may seem sus , better to replace with 1 15cent seal than loose
a bottle

Back