Grolsch style bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy

Reaction score
Have been bottling my brews into standard glass bottles (ex-boags). Have come across the flip top bottles in a brew shop (similar to the Grolsch style bottles) - you know the ones, metal hinge on top that secures a plastic cork and silocone grommet - ya see them often as restaurants.

Has anyone used these bottles for their brews? And how well do they go?? Or am I better off sticking to the standard capped bottles???

Cheers,
Droopy

They're very useful, and you can replace the rubber seals once they start to crack.

I personally have 42 of them they are really really good, you can buy the replacement grommits on ebay also.

the 1.5 litre bottles have appeared around x-mas time in the past - as gift packs. I can't remember how much they were, but I have 9 of them now.

I currently own about 150 Grolsch and they are excellent, haven't had one not seal yet. The only negative is probably looking after the rubber gaskets, every so often I'll remove them and give them a boil which gives them a good clean and gets them back to their original shape (they get a little flattened when sealed for a long time) there just a PITA to get back onto the swing top.

Crumpet said:
... there just a PITA to get back onto the swing top.
Can you believe I had to google PITA to understand what you were saying... Hahaha

Thanks all for your replies... I think I'm sold on the idea... I'll be getting some!!

if you've overcarbonated you can quite easily let some co2 excape by easing them open slightly without as much risk of letting oxygen in as with re-capping crown caps. If you replace the washers try to get different colours as it helps to distinguish different brews - my HBS stocks red, blue, green and yellow

Not sure on HBS supplied bottles but Grolsch bottles are great.

I have about 500

have used them for about 10 years

very happy

replace seals when they get worn

and make sure they are centred on the bottle top

I use 19mm circlular labels to mark the the tops

sp0rk said:
I've got 50 for sale right now if you're local
Thanks Sp0rk, pitty I'm right down south.

I glad to hear all good reviews on the Grolsch style bottles. My capper may be retired in a few months, haha

I just brought 12 500ml bottles from my Grain & Grape about to bottle my saison into them and some crown seal bottles.
They look great and I'm excited to give them a go!

My neighbours like my Grolsch bottles also.
When I use a crown capper it's the hammer type with bottle on the floor, as i live in a unit my neighbours live under my floor!
;-)

I got a batch of the 500ml hacker pschoor style ones. Very nice, fit 20 to a milk crate style container very neatly. Most importantly - I've carbed them to 4vols safely for Golden Strong Belgians :)

Latest posts

Back