Grolsch Bottle Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazy

Reaction score
Lucky enough to have come across about 50 473ml Grolsch bottles. Would love to put my Cider in them but am not sure on the priming rate. I relise that bulk primming is probably the go but am very short of time. If using Carb drops, one or two?. If placing sugar into the bottle, the standard seven grams will obviuosly be to much. I have an old measure with the two ends (stubbies, tallies), just not sure on exact rate, maybe a stubbies worth and a bit?
Any help, as always much appreciated

Bulk priming or bulk buying? :lol: :p

Sorry guys wrong spot, finnished night shift half asleep

Hazy ,

you say you are time poor

bulk priming does not take any longer , maybe even quicker

only thing maybe cost , you would need another fermenter or a cube

another benefit is the beer will be clearer , especially the last 1o or so bottles .

I am also a fan of racking my beer after 5 days
and then bulk priming at the bottling stage

The last cider i did i bulk primed with apple juice, turned out very well! Apple juice is 10% sugar so i just worked around that.

1 lollie per bottle will be fine. 2 is definitely too much.

A majority of my bottle stock are Grolsch swingtops, and I find that 1 lolly is perfect. I tried bulk priming, tried dry sugar/dex, but 1 lolly in any 450-550ml bottle seems to give almost perfect ale level carbonation (or what I consider perfect -my beer, my rules!) after 4 weeks.

For my Grolsch bottles I just use one of these. Or same as this. Has 3 different measures.

I use the 500ml scoop and just under fill it a bit. Works fine. If you want a lower carbed beer depending on the style, I have used the 330ml scoop and it came of good.

Cheers WoolBrew :icon_cheers:

Yeah, I started off 1 carb drop and half teaspoon of dex and found it was too much, way overcarbed.
Have dropped to 4-5grams per Grolschy, so a carb drop, or one teaspoon is fine.

Lucky enough to have come across about 50 473ml Grolsch bottles. Would love to put my Cider in them but am not sure on the priming rate. I relise that bulk primming is probably the go but am very short of time. If using Carb drops, one or two?. If placing sugar into the bottle, the standard seven grams will obviuosly be to much. I have an old measure with the two ends (stubbies, tallies), just not sure on exact rate, maybe a stubbies worth and a bit?
Any help, as always much appreciated
I use the stubbie side on my measure for my 500ml swingtops.

I definitely wouldn't use two drops, or the big side.
I find that they are definitely carbed enough.

I'd second the call for bulk priming though. I use the scoop measure these days because I am bottling left overs from kegging, but bulk priming is great for a whole batch...

Latest posts

Back