Groggy's Temp Control Program

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpvolvo

Reaction score
First post here (I'm actually in California...).

Anyway, you guys seem to be the only folks out there that have covered groggy's tempcontrol setup a number of times. I was wondering, have any linux users gottent the program to run? I think I may have had it running on BSD, but wasn't sure (haven't bought the serial / parrellel units yet).

I'll stick to that for now - if someone has attempted this, I'll get into my question a bit deeper.

CHEERS!

-Phil

p.s. this board is amazing, i hope you don't frown on a non-aussie being here! :)

I haven't tried groggy's program, but I have written something similar for Linux if you want to try it. It needs simpler circuitry as well.

See http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/November...rticle315.shtml for the circuit.

Here is a thread on my setup http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=10518

And what happens when you take this sort of stuff to the extreme: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=15996

Edit: PS Forgot to say welcome to the site, no problems with non-aussies here, I'm sure half of the board are ex-pat Brits, Yanks, Germans, & Kiwis anyway. As long as you like beers that's all we need. You might want to go post in this thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...p?showtopic=459 just so we know whether we need to convert you to All Grain brewing or not. :)

PPS: You didn't vote for Bush did you? If so, then it's a different story ;) (joke)

Hi

You can also buy usb or serial port to one wire convertors for the DS1820's from Maxim. I run this stuff under windows. I was running this under linux before, but for various reasons I now only run it under Windows.
Also, have a look at Marty's site. for some graphing software.

Cheers
Pedro

awsome guys! i will take a look at your setup... seems to look fairly straight foreward from the quick glance I took at it. i will go ahead and keep you posted as to my progress.

funny you should mention all grain...i am building my mashtun as we speak. up until this point its been all extract :(

thanks for the excellent help,

-phil

p.s. I still have my Kerry 04 t-shirt. its been a 7 year nightmare - wish us luck in 08!

Geez Pedro, they kill on the shipping from Maxim don't they? $50 handling charge for international orders!!!!

Geez Pedro, they kill on the shipping from Maxim don't they? $50 handling charge for international orders!!!!

You should be able to order a couple of eval units for developement purposes.

Beers,
Doc

I just check out the maxim site and it seems like the DS1820 isn't being sold anymore. Perhaps just go with Zizzle's method?

I just check out the maxim site and it seems like the DS1820 isn't being sold anymore. Perhaps just go with Zizzle's method?

Correct. The DS1820 has been superceded by the DS18S20, which supports phantom power and also fixed a bug. You can get two samples from the good people at Maxim for the asking.

I read mine with a microcontroller and I reckon they're cool - particularly if you go to the trouble of getting the extended value.

Yes

Pedro
PS - do I need to say more on this? Find yourself a friendly brewer in the USA and get them to forward them on.

Zizzle - quick quetion,

The computer im running linux on now does not have a serial port (its old, so its weird it doesnt have one). I do have another pile of junk that does have one.

I would rather wire the temp sensors to a USB plug, but I doubt I could get it to work. I could change the port within the program source easily enough.

Should I just stick with the old / junky computer for the ease of a serial port?

-Phil

Should I just stick with the old / junky computer for the ease of a serial port?

Yep that's what I'd do. Or pickup an old pentium laptop, they are worth next to nothing these days, usually have a serial port, and use very little power.

The other option is a USB-to-serial dongle. Should be cheap enough, most work under Linux these days. You guys have Frys which are electronic mega stores over there right?

The final option: does the PC you want to use have a parallel port? Could probably write some code to bit-bang the 1-wire bus protocol out over that. Infact that's what I do on the brewbot micro controller.

There is a USB to 1-wire adapter from DS/Maxim - DS9490R. I understand there is both linux and windows support.

OK, so I am going to go ahead and use the old (noisy) computer. I just went ahead and picked up....

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/meas/ck110.htm

Setting up the sensors seems like it will be very easy. For me, the harder part will be setting up the relay. I'm sure its easy, but I have pretty much no electronics experience.

I will have the computer right next to the fridge, so I wont have to build a cool breakout box like Zizzle - it will just be some shrink wrapped wires going from the serial connection to the fridge.

As far as software goes, it looks like Groggys software would run your (Zizzles) same hardware setup - but I'm having a BSD -> Linux compiling issue, so I will probably just use Zizzles.

So thats my progress thus far... I will probably be back as soon as I need to setup the relay (lets just hope I can see the temps print out on my terminal screen!!)

Thanks a ton for all the help so far! By the time I get this project finished I will be able to write a great n00b guide :)

Has anyone built or used one of these kits from ocean controlls

Link

Franko

For me, the harder part will be setting up the relay. I'm sure its easy, but I have pretty much no electronics experience.

Have a gander at this article. Scroll down to the schematic labeled "Basic transistor interface for a relay." As long as you include the flyback diode, there's nothing really magical/difficult about using relays. Just note that in that schematic you'll drive the relay from +5V or +12V, not the "Motor Current Supply (+)" as shown. You can also use a FET instead of the BJT shown. The FET would be installed with the drain (D terminal) at the top (connected to the diode), the source (S) connected to ground, and the gate (G) connected to the logic level input. A 2N7000 in the TO-92 package will probably be able to drive pretty much any relay you'll require.

Also make sure that the relay is rated for at least 120V, 10A (15A would be better) and that the high voltage wiring you create should be with 14 gauge wire (not smaller than this!!!).

DS18S20 - this is slightly off topic, but....

DO NOT buy these! Got to the MAXIM website and request a sample of 2-4 units. Use whatever excuse you want to, it will take a few weeks to get them, up to six weeks in my case, but I got six delivered free of charge!!!

Well worth it!

John

MAXIM will continue to send you junk mail after you get a free sample. Not junk email, but dead tree junk.

That's fine for me as an engineer, I like to see what their latest chips are, but probably annoying for most.

They limit the freebies at 4 I think. That is why SWMBO also has gotten some free samples :D

Latest posts

Back