Gripes About Serving Size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donmateo

Reaction score
It's great to have places around that have a nice selection of good beer, but I can't help getting annoyed at the serving size at some places.
Beer DeLux in Melbourne - they normally have a pretty good selection of beers - and they charge for it too. I was in the other day and asked what is their serving size for the beers - the answer was 425ml schooners. So I paid $9.50 for a schooner of one of their tap beers. After sloshing it around in the glass, and slicing off the top of the froth with a knife, he passed me the beer. Seriously, by the time I got my change from him, the froth had bubbled down a fair bit, and you would never believe that this was a brand spanking freshly served schooner of beer. It had to be about 2 cm down from the top of the glass (and the widest part of the glass!). I asked him to fill it up for me, but he refused with the answer "That's the way we serve them". The same thing happened the next time.

I think it's pretty dodgy of them to say that they are serving you a schooner of beer, and then slosh it round to froth it up, and serve it to you. The glasses themselves are *schooners*, so I think this means that a full glass will be 425ml. A lot of the German glasses have lines on them, and they serve it to you with a great frothy head, but at least you *get the line*, and other places quote the serving size and give you a nice frothy head, but the glass volume is bigger than the serving size.

Seems to me like they are trying to rip people off.

yeah I agree mate, my question is why did you go back for a second ? there are some better places around melbourne for a brew that are good quality, sherlock holmes is one and there's always mrs parmas. or try some of their bottled beer, they've got a great selection and you get ehay you pay for.

Cheers

Aaron

hah, yeah. i got served a "schmiddy" the other day ...in between a pot and a schooner he tells me. first id heard of such a stupid size.

and then theres the schooners cleverly disguised to look like pints. err

sim

Back