Greens Call For Excise Change To Help Microbreweries Help The Economy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With you on all of the above.
The debate today will be political grandstanding on xenophobic-tap-in boat policies, not ensuring a bright future for craft brewing :(
All of the major political debate is 'wowser', so can't blame the Greens too much for jumping overboard into the water now and then, I hear it works wonders.

Nah I have to blame the Greens on the pokie laws at least. The Libs and Labor didn't want a bar of it, it was purely a Greens thing and even then only seemed to be one bloke in particularly really pushing it.

The issue with wowsers is that they all have their little pet projects and over time more and more of them become legislation. It's a slow erosion of our rights. It also seems that once a wowser law is put in place it's almost never reversed.

I wonder how many of those who voted against were:

1. shareholders in Fosters / Lion Nathan
  2. scared shitless to vote for anything that had an alcohol conotation
  3. voting against just because it was a Green's bill and they wouldn't want to be seen supporting them
  4. just utter wankers

Politics ... rarely is it about anything more than *p*olitics.

Mostly 4, 3, and a lttle bit 2 I'd guess sadly...

Would it be possible for the AHB as a collective group to put together a petition worded in a manner so as to get the point across with regards to the inequities surrounding the craft brewing industry. Then this singular document could be downloaded by ahb members and signatures gathered amongst the people they know. Retailers could, if the so wished, have a copy at their shops for signing etc. We would need an obvious timeframe before all petitions to be returned to a central place/member/person and delivered in total to the applicable member of government. I am under the notion that the craft brew industry has/is lobbying the govt but maybe we can get some more names on paper to continue to push this reform. Microbreweries ,obviously,could also be involved.

Anyway just a thought, what do you guys think?

bah

:icon_offtopic:

Intensely interesting how a particular topic can illustrate (through unity of an otherwise disparate group of singularities) the arbitrary and ineffective nature of a representative party system and how far removed from the conceptual foundations of a true democracy it actual is.

Sorry, I'll get back in my box.

Nah I have to blame the Greens on the pokie laws at least. The Libs and Labor didn't want a bar of it, it was purely a Greens thing and even then only seemed to be one bloke in particularly really pushing it.

The issue with wowsers is that they all have their little pet projects and over time more and more of them become legislation. It's a slow erosion of our rights. It also seems that once a wowser law is put in place it's almost never reversed.
That one bloke is Andrew Wilkie, independent not green, although the greens are supporting it.

Would it be possible for the AHB as a collective group to put together a petition worded in a manner so as to get the point across with regards to the inequities surrounding the craft brewing industry. Then this singular document could be downloaded by ahb members and signatures gathered amongst the people they know. Retailers could, if the so wished, have a copy at their shops for signing etc. We would need an obvious timeframe before all petitions to be returned to a central place/member/person and delivered in total to the applicable member of government. I am under the notion that the craft brew industry has/is lobbying the govt but maybe we can get some more names on paper to continue to push this reform. Microbreweries ,obviously,could also be involved.

bah

This is an excellent idea. I would do my part in collecting signatures if we decided to do this.

Mate

bah

There's already been one about a year ago.

That one bloke is Andrew Wilkie, independent not green, although the greens are supporting it.

Ahh yep you're right.

bah
a petition to give craft beer a fair go was circulated a few years ago, i signed it as did many thousands of people, but no action was forthcoming from the feds and it died a quiet death.

a petition to give craft beer a fair go was circulated a few years ago, i signed it as did many thousands of people, but no action was forthcoming from the feds and it died a quiet death.

Yeah I think it sort of showed that it's not the best approach.

I think working with the greens may be a better approach, so what they reckon needs to happen to get it passed.

Maybe get home distilling legalised too, oh and being able to cable your own house and do basic electrical work would be nice.

Yeah I think it sort of showed that it's not the best approach.

I think working with the greens may be a better approach, so what they reckon needs to happen to get it passed.

Maybe get home distilling legalised too, oh and being able to cable your own house and do basic electrical work would be nice.

haha... attach the last 2 points to the bill and you'll never get it passed

Back