Grain Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems funny that no-one seems to worry about weevils.

They are a big problem for me as most of my grain is feed grade. Really good seals help and can stave off weevil damage, but the bastards eventually get in anywhere.

If your storage container is air-tight, perhaps the wevils or their eggs were in the grain beforehand. Your might need to fumigate somehow (e.g. CO2, phosphine, Methyl Bromide, etc).

Put in 2L plastic drink bottles or 3 L fruit juice just sterilize and dry first .

Dead 500L chest freezer for me. When I open a bag and use some grain, the remainder stays in the bag and I seal with a cable tie. Specialty grains in 5L 'airtight' containers, although they may not actually be that airtight... :)

Cheers

If your storage container is air-tight, perhaps the wevils or their eggs were in the grain beforehand. Your might need to fumigate somehow (e.g. CO2, phosphine, Methyl Bromide, etc).

Yes that's correct. Grain has weevils already in it. Was at one of the big names from here's store the other day and he showed me the poison canisters he uses to keep weevils from multiplying in the bulk grain. I just was suprised that people were only considering rodents.
I got a few mice, but the bugs are my biggest problem.

This may be a silly question.............

But does humidity affect grain in storage to some degree? Living here in the NT, we do get some humidity (for a few months :rolleyes: )

Cheers

This may be a silly question.............

But does humidity affect grain in storage to some degree? Living here in the NT, we do get some humidity (for a few months :rolleyes: )

Cheers

Yep, humidity is bad news. Just keep the grain air tight and all should be ok. We don't get as bad down here in Bundy as you do, but I've never had an issue yet. I store my grain in the original bag with plastic ties, or in the hadi pals. And my spec malt in food storage containers.

With weevils, I know in feed grain the eggs are an issue, but I though that would not be such an issue as our grain has been malted and basically cooked.

QldKev

My grain stays in the original sack and gets chucked in the corner of the spare room. Haven't had any issues so far. It's probably too cold for rodents and weevils down here in Vic anyway......

Good excuse to buy some Fresh Wort Kits IMO. I had about 8 empty (15 ltr kits) and got about 40KG of grain last week, it went into about 6 of them.

You might get a sack in 2 20ltr kits, would be close.

Black Willow bin from bunnings for about $13 works a treat. Holds a 25kg sacks no problem.

+1

I have about 8 or 9 of these. Worked really well when I had rat problems. I had some grain sitting in the sacks they came in and during last winter the rats ripped through them with ease. I then doubled the amount of bins I had and put all the grain inside of those. The rats still tried to get into the bins, as I could see their scratch marks...however, they didn't even break into one.

Cheers

Just found 2 holes in two bags of grain.

Would people still use the grain or chuck? Dependent on how much got eaten?

Thanks for your informative response hoppy?

What i meant have others tried to salvage the sections of the bag that are not directly near the hole. E.g.the hole in one bag is near the bottom, would you use try to salvage the the grain at the top or not?

Id make the hole bigger and remove a fistful or grain around the hole. DONT just put the removed grain anywhere as they will find it. Best wrap up in a bag and place deep in the bin.

The rest should be fine, as you mash it then boil it. Leave a few traps around and see how many you can catch to also prevent it from happening again. Also if you can get your hands on those thick massive bins they are awesome for storing grain. A rat may be able to chew through it but I mice wont, especially when you've set traps for them.

Thanks mate.

Got a black willow bin.

Just saw the fecker poking his head out behind some furniture!

Time to get the cat.

People wouldn't. Zombies might. :(

It seems to me that you have learned very little in the last 10 months hoppy, still spitting out random shit that just has no logic, as midnightbrew points out, the grain is still mashed and boiled, why the hell would you bin the lot? Your refusal to understand things and regurgitate senseless shit is reminiscent of dear old Speedie.. May he rest in obscurity..

Set some baits (out of the way of children or friendly animals) this can quickly get numbers back under control. The thicker amd more secure your containers are the better off you will be. I was fortunate enough to score some very sweet containers and id be surprised if anything got into em, the one bag of grain that ive got that doesnt squeeze into the containers is in a steel cabinet.

Yob

Thx yob,

All grain in containers. 1 willow black bin and various other rectangle ones.

Baits when i visit green shed this arvo.

Wearing some type of dust mask and blending grain outside when i use this stuff. Its the handling/ingesting of mouse poo before the boiling i am worried about (probably paranoia there).

Mainly pissed off about the 4kg rice bag of new wey pils it got into but it really smashed the big bag of bb ale (8g left maybe chewed through 1 kg) the night before. The main bag of pils and maris are untouched. May salvage a bit of bb ale and chuck the bottom half that is left.

Severe talking to cat when i see it next. Bad kitty.

Severe talking to cat when i see it next. Bad kitty.
a89f2ccd.jpg

Bunnings often have large (50L?) clear/white rectangular plastic storage containers for <$10.

Fit a sack perfectly in them and stack up nicely to limit space.

Ive got 6 or 7 of them which I use for base malts and a few larger amounts of specs.

For small amounts of spec malts I use plastic buckets with tight fitting lids that used to hold donut icing/fondant as I could get them for free from working at one a while ago.

The place still sells them cleaned with lids for $2 so might be worth asking around anyways. I often see similar things in the fruit market/deli near my house which would also work quite nicely

Sponge

Latest posts

Back