Grain Mills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I'm about to order a crankenstein 2S ? ...I'll give myself the weekend as a "cooling off" period, but it seems right for my needs at this time.

...anyone with late mail on other rigs?

Thanks again for the response ;)

Brad is pretty spot on. The Valley got quite a few rave reviews, when I was buying and it does work admirably, BUT now there are better mills on the market, particularly the Crankandstein.

Anyone want to buy my Vaelly Mills so I can upgrade to a top of the range CnS ;) ?

Cheers
MAH

bradmcm said:
I'm not a big fan of the Valley Mill design. You have to unbolt it all to clean the hopper, you have to use a stick to get the last few grains through the mill and it all inexplicably feeds into a 1 inch square of the roller. 90% of the roller NEVER gets used.
[post="81391"][/post]​

MAH,
How much would you be asking for the Valley?
I've just been touching myself over pictures of the crankandstein 3 roller mill with the adjustable ball detents.

Chiller - do all these mills have knurled rollers?

I ask because I routinely get 85% efficiency with my jarah mill which of course is not knurled. I was getting 90% but I backed out the gap a little to make my brewday go a bit quicker.

Not having a knurled mill to compare it with, this is nothing more than speculation. Of course the patented figure 8 ezy hooker in the esky mashtun might also have something to do with it.

The kind of crush I got at some stage looks something like this:
GrainCrush.jpg

And the full story including pictorial "how to" is at http://brewiki.org/RollerMill

sosman said:
Chiller - do all these mills have knurled rollers?

I ask because I routinely get 85% efficiency with my jarah mill which of course is not knurled. I was getting 90% but I backed out the gap a little to make my brewday go a bit quicker.

Yes they are all knurled.
However, knurling has more to do with gripping the grain to pull it through than
anything to do with the crush, IMO.

The larger the diameter the roller, the easier it is for the grain to fall through.
The brewpub size mills generally do not have knurled rollers.

OK staying with the original theme of Chiller's post it looks like I'm going to upgrade to a CrankandStein. The ol' Valley Mill is likely to go to a good home here in Adelaide, the brewing capital of Oz. Looks like our beloved diminutive new Australian, is considering adding another preloved part to his second hand brewery.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
Adelaide, the brewing capital of Oz.
Cheers
MAH
[post="81545"][/post]​

That explains why nobody drives up and down Hindley St. anymore. They're all home upholding their reputations. :p

Warren -

chiller said:
It is quite theraputic crushing grain :)
[post="80947"][/post]​

Which is probably why I continue to use hand driven porket or corona mill :p .

The therapeutic value is almost exponentially increased, I get additional aerobic exercise, a perfectly acceptable grist and some apparently acceptable brews.

What's more, when I describe my beers as being hand crafted - I bloody well know they have been, and have the blisters to show it :lol:

Edit: Mind you if a decently priced valley mill happened to come on the local market, I might be willing to change my opinion, wouldn't I MAH?? end Edit

bradmcm said:
I'm not a big fan of the Valley Mill design. You have to unbolt it all to clean the hopper, you have to use a stick to get the last few grains through the mill and it all inexplicably feeds into a 1 inch square of the roller. 90% of the roller NEVER gets used.
[post="81391"][/post]​

I've had my Valley for around 4 years
Never had to unbolt it for cleaning , never had to use a stick to get the last few grains , I do tilt it.
The reason it feeds into the centre 1" of roller is because if hand cranking it would be impossiable to turn using the full roller size.
I like my valley mill. :beerbang:

But I am sure there are better mills out there

Batz

Batz said:
I like my valley mill. :beerbang:
But I am sure there are better mills out there
Batz
[post="81839"][/post]​

This has been a message brought to you by the CRMA (Corona Revisionist Militant Alliance).

Changing the world, one painful handcrank at a time.

Im with ya Stu !
But my Corona is going to rest as my new Crank 2A arrived.
Just gonna get a hopper going and away we go.
The Corona was great, but my left bi-cep wont fit into any of my shirts anymore !
:beerbang:

Motorised valley mill is the ducks nuts. Had mine for 6 years now and is still going strong. Never unbolted it either.

Latest posts

Back