Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wraith

Reaction score
The next step for me in my ag freedom is to buy and crack my own grain and its a step im eyeing off seriously, though not sure where I can find a mill that's fair dinkum, whats everyones opinion about mills? Whats the best thing I can do?

Thanks brewers
Wraith

G'day Wraith,
There is a waelth of information here. A search on the mighty marga mill brought these results :)
You might want to spend more money and get a barley crusher or a Crankandstien :)
You could make your own like this one or this one (which is what mine is based on.)
As you can see the choices are huge, we all have different needs and opinions, enjoy the read and see what ya reckon !
Cheers
Doug

G'day Wraith,
There is a waelth of information here. A search on the mighty marga mill brought these results :)
You might want to spend more money and get a barley crusher or a Crankandstien :)
You could make your own like this one or this one (which is what mine is based on.)
As you can see the choices are huge, we all have different needs and opinions, enjoy the read and see what ya reckon !
Cheers
Doug

hi doug,
can you inform us about the drive and gear box you use for your mill.

cheers alan

I found a cnc machinist who is willing to help me out in making one. I told him i wanted it as per this:

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Gear/GSc...ill/index.shtml

but i said make it with mild steel, and ill get it plated later (to save cost). He replied that he has stainelss tube lying around, and could do a striaght knurl on it, as well as gear the end for me for little effort.

The best part is its going to cost me nothing in labour, and only a few dollars for the material he has lying about :)

Find a friend whose good at making things i say :)

With the $A very strong, it's worth considering a Barley Crusher. They really rock.

hi doug,
can you inform us about the drive and gear box you use for your mill.

cheers alan

G'day Alan,
I was lucky enough to have a friend who had a few electric wheelchair motors that were excess to requirement. I passed on 3 or 4 to some happy WA brewers too. The motor is 24 volt and needs a supply capably of providing 8-10 amps. It already has a 90 reduction gearbox so I grabbed a Jaycar spider coupler and adapted it to my motor and mill shafts. I'm unsure if it is really robust for my 55mm roller diameter (they seem to be fine for barly crusher/ marga's that have a smaller roller diameter.). Drive speed is around 200RPM at 24 volts which is fine for me. I've uploaded a better image of the linkage here :)
Cheers
Doug

thanks everyone, gives me something to think about.

Wraith

Back