Grain mill Xmas sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do I have to change the settings depending on the type of grain? I read something on this forum that the thickness of a credit card does the job. So is it set and forget?

You don't have to mill the grain twice, no. Especially not with those Mashmaster fluted roller ones. I probably use a little wider gap than a credit card but I do like a coarser crush as it works better on my system than a finer crush does.

You can't get non fluted ones anymore, not new anyway. They've done away with the knurled rollers now. I bought mine when they were knurled rollers and it worked well for about 3 years or so, and then it started having trouble pulling the grains through. I was sent out a replacement fluted roller and it has been excellent ever since, but there was no need to mill the grain twice with either configuration.

Merry Christmas to all about to brew my 93rd brew in a couple of days. I'm planning on brewing a wheat beer. Hoping to have it perfect by the big [emoji817]. Mini mash. Pressure ferment. Keg [emoji106][emoji481][emoji482]

koolkuna said:
Do I have to change the settings depending on the type of grain? I read something on this forum that the thickness of a credit card does the job. So is it set and forget?
By and large, yes, it is set and forget. There are a few relatively obscure things for which I have had to change the setting on my mill - oat malt and Briess midnight wheat come to mind. Plenty of folks never change their setting once they get their grist right.

If you go via ebay you can get 10% off at the moment - C10AUS was the code I used. Brought the malt muncher down to $106.56 delivered.

Would have loved to have bought a mashmaster but I just can't afford it at the moment. At least I have a mill now, so will be able to buy by the sack and focus on my next goal which a 100L kettle (currently on a 40L crown urn)

Sweet sounds good I'll check out eBay for the malt muncher. Have you used the malt muncher yet??
Any one seen any discount on the mash master mill??

koolkuna said:
Sweet sounds good I'll check out eBay for the malt muncher. Have you used the malt muncher yet??
Any one seen any discount on the mash master mill??
I only just pulled the trigger - Inspired by this thread.

koolkuna said:
Sp0rk how much use did the malt muncher have before it some war and tear?
I've probably put about 300kg of grain through it in the 4 or so years I've had it

I BIAB, so I have it set to a credit card width (EB Games reward card, to be precise) and that crushes near to flour for me

Not sure if the new Mashmasters come with a handle or not with that great big hopper they have now, but an 18V drill driver set on highest torque and lowest speed will drive it perfectly fine.

That said, I don't mill my grain to near flour because it fucks the efficiency up; I get much higher efficiency with a crush that basically just cracks the husk open with very little flour, so it's probably a bit easier on the drill than a finer crush would be. I also BIAB, I think the coarser crush also makes it easier to drain the grain bag.

I just got a Mashmaster mini mill. No handle supplied. Purchased from Ibrew, the only place I could find them in stock.

sp0rk said:
I BIAB, so I have it set to a credit card width (EB Games reward card, to be precise) and that crushes near to flour for me
:icon_offtopic: Which platform do you play on?

Back