Grain mill setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fro-Daddy

Reaction score
So, I've just got my first grain mill and want to make sure I do things correctly.
I got the Malt Muncher with a hopper and base board.

I've set the gap with a credit card and it is even from side to side, locked in the roller so it should be fine.
I've got a drill ready to go so I don't need to crank by hand.

But I'm not sure about the best way to clean off the oily residue that is already on the rollers.
Is it simply wipe it off? Use a certain product? Do I just ignore it because it won't affect the brew at all?

Also, in between crushes, do I just leave the rollers covered or should I dust them off?

Anything else I might be missing?

I have used the ethanol sanitiser for a degrease, and I have a stiff round brush, may have got that from Bunnings in the Art section for brushing the rollers. The marks on the Malt Muncher I found to be pretty much spot on, there are 2 sets of markings one is ideal for milling rye and the second (wider one) for milling the malt.

To clean any oil off, put a couple of cups full of malt through on the finest setting you can, throw the malt.
I generally dust with an old paintbrush (from time to time).
M

In between crushes I use a can of compressed air (keyboard cleaner) from kmart and give it a light blow in and around the moving parts.

Latest posts

Back