Grain Mill Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

In an effort to reduce my AG brewing costs I'd like to start buying my base malt in larger quantities (as it's about half the price from G&G). ATM, I order on a per recipe basis but obviously if I bought a 20 kg bag of JWM ale malt things would work out cheaper.

To do this I need to get a grain mill. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CORONA-Grain-Mill-H...=item3a640b383f

I'm only doing 20 litre batches so I'm usually looking at 4-5 kg of base malt per batch.

Cheers,

Chris

Not used it, but have seen plenty of people on US forums that use them.

Few people on here using them with success. I've seen them around for cheaper though, $70 odd.

If you're spending that much.... might as well go proper job and get a monster mill or similar especially with the dollar at 1.10 now.

Or there is the cheaper marga mill, few 2nd hand ones about ... or even the KegKing maltmuncher.

A few years ago people on here did use them, when the $ was poor

But with todays $
Basic mill for $113 posted, which will ok but just.

Import a real mill MM2
http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/products_main.html
$USD117 + $USD48 = $USD165 = $AUD154

OR if you get 2 mills in with someone local you pay half the postage each
$USD117 + $USD24 = $141USD = $AUD131

QldKev

A few years ago people on here did use them, when the $ was poor

But with todays $
Basic mill for $113 posted, which will ok but just.

Import a real mill MM2
http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/products_main.html
$USD117 + $USD48 = $USD165 = $AUD154

OR if you get 2 mills in with someone local you pay half the postage each
$USD117 + $USD24 = $141USD = $AUD131

QldKev

Do I need some extra stuff to get this working (hopper, handle, etc.)?

Yep,
If you want something prefab they sell a base and hopper for $US40, and handle $USD23; you would need to check on that site about postage.

For mine I built a base and hopper setup from bits from Bunnings for about $20. This setup also has storage etc.

Then you could easily build a handle/arm setup for it, or use a drill to power it. Later on for a bit over $100 you could then setup a DC motor and mount it permanantly. (there is some info on my web site, ref my sig) Also have a have a search on here as there is plenty of info on this mill.

QldKev

edit: Here is the thread where I build my basic hopper
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=32483

I got an MM2 recently and got the hopper and handle as well. I would definitely recommend getting the hopper but you could leave the handle out if you want to save a few bucks. I got the handle as backup in case my drill carks it half way through a milling session.

Hi Folks,

In an effort to reduce my AG brewing costs I'd like to start buying my base malt in larger quantities (as it's about half the price from G&G). ATM, I order on a per recipe basis but obviously if I bought a 20 kg bag of JWM ale malt things would work out cheaper.

To do this I need to get a grain mill. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CORONA-Grain-Mill-H...=item3a640b383f

I'm only doing 20 litre batches so I'm usually looking at 4-5 kg of base malt per batch.

Cheers,

Chris

If you're going to go for that one, wait a bit and keep an eye on it because he occaisionally knocks 5-10% off the price.

Got one myself. Works a treat and recommend.

Pros:
They're cheap, they don't require any add-ons (just a bucket under a bench or a baking tray on a saw horse) and they'll give you nice muscley arms that will be a hit with the ladies. Gets the job done and the milling gap is easy to adjust for different grain types for getting a fine or less fine crush. The lack of motor means they are quieter.

Cons:
They don't look as sexy in your brew shed, slow to crush upwards of 8kg of grain (anything that is a double batch portion - you get a real workout doing those). A motorised mill with a drill or motor will save you a chunk of time. Spoke to John at G&G once about Coronas when he asked what I use and he claimed that a roller mill will give you a much better efficiency. I find I've had no probs with efficiency but I reckon he's probably right that I would get better efficiency. Beer book authors like John Palmer also claim the discs on a corona twist grain rather than crushing properly which can create astringency, but I haven't had a problem like this at all - and I get a crush comparable to a roller I reckon, it just takes me longer. Other brewing authors like Dave Miller actually recommend them, and many backyard brewers have been using these mills for decades.

Up to you, but this is a fine starting point that will give you a solid result. $99 though does seem expensive for a mill of this kind though. Many sell for $60-$80 secondhand. If you can spend around $100 then possibly you should step up to a roller as you can get some for around $120.

Hopper.

+1 for the monster mill. Definately worth it with the dollar the way it is....... :beerbang:

I've been using a corona for a couple of years. I got mine for around $50 though so if you are looking upward of $100, you might look at something better.

I have another mill and various bits for motorising (future project) but until then the corona does fine. No astringency, efficiency consistent and good enough for me (~70%), easily adjusted and a good workout for brewdays. When I motorise the other, I will keep my trusty corona for back-up/emergency.

i recently bought an MM2. Cost $157AU delivered. First use was yesterday. I just found some scrap piece of MDF and a water cooler bottle that was"laying around" at work. Took me all of about 30mins to set it up. I have it underslung off the mdf sitting on a bucket with a small hole in it to let the shaft stick out. The water cooler bottle (with it's ass cut out) then sits in a hole i cut in the mdf. With the drill attached it took about 5-10 mins to crush 9kg. Worked a charm. So essentially payed $0 for the hopper and base.

+3 for the MM2.

Here is my Hopper build linky. Many others have done similar ones too.

I used a cordless drill atm, with plans one day of motorising mine.

Agreed it isn't worth it for 110 bucks, you might as well get one of the US mills like kev said.

I use a crankandstein 2d with DIY Baseplate/Hopper and DIY handle, it works a treat. The mill was ~$150 in a bulk buy, the rest was probably around $20 from bunnings (handle was free).

I have this one [ http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm ] but any of the purpose designed mills will work well. The corona style will work [slowly] but you can do much better.
Did you get the barebones and build the rest yourself?
I see there are pre-adjusted, adjustable one end and adjustable at both ends options. Any real reason to spend the extra $$$ over the pre-adjusted one?

The LHBS in Canberra uses a schmidling mill which works just fine for his purposes.

He said if it ever wears out he may look at a mill master but he has been running fine so far on the schmidling.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I bought the cheapest Crankandstein 2-roller mill a while ago (for USD76+post) and am very happy. It has shorter rollers than many, making it easier to turn and therefore motorise - I'm currently using my Ozito 14.4V Li drill, but my old Ozito 18V drill will happily turn it on 12V. I don't think I will need to use the chain/sprocket set I bought to increase the applied torque.

Lesson: The longer the rollers, the more grunt you will need to turn it. The larger the diameter of the rollers, the more grunt you will need to turn it.

Back