Grain mill advantages

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falcon250

Reaction score
G'day all,

I'm currently using a Corona grain mill and am wondering if the other mills available produce better results, any comments always greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

angry6.

I have a keg king mill with ozito spade handle drill, smashes 10kg in under ten minutes, not sure how the coronas go.

Lots of brewers have used the Corona with reasonable results. However, it is not a mill specifically designed for milling grain for brewing.
There are also lots who use an imported mill such as crankanstein (check spelling).
Personally, I use one of the original MillMasters from site sponsor mashmaster, and it is a great mill.
Their latest release is the MashMaster MiniMill, and it has had great reports from lots of brewers on here. My son-in-law uses one, and he's very happy with his.

An investment in a quality mill is not that cheap, but if you buy the right one, it will last you a lifetime.

On the brew strong show they said the corona mills would sieze up under to much load as it doesnt use ball bearings. Could of heard wrong tho

Spend the $$$ on a decent mill with adjustable stainless rollers.

A corona mill has a rotating disk which grinds the grain and will also shred a lot of the husk. A roller mill crushes, rather than grinds, and this will leave your husks more intact. Whole husks will give you less chance of a stuck sparge. For BIAB, it probably wouldn't matter as much.

Plenty of brewers have used corona mills successfully, but I would recommend a roller mill if your budget extends that far.

I used a Corona mill happily when brewing BIAB but find a roller mill gives better result in my recirculating system as it relies on a grain bed forming. When using the corona mill it was much more likely to get a stuck/restricted runoff which could lead to overflowing wort making the floor sticky. I meant to put a float switch to shutoff the pump but haven't bothered since getting a proper mill as flow through the grain bed is much more predictable (though I still avoid much rye after that one time... very sticky mess)

mrsupraboy said:
Finally received my mill. Know can't wait to use it
You will not be able to buy enough grain to satisfy your crushing habbit

Nice.

You will need to sort your gap out. Will depend lot on speed.

There are other tricks to getting a better crush. But you will need to run a few first to bed it in.

You want prpb about 30% flour,but this will depend on if your BIAB,manifold,false bottom etc

A little trick for getting a good crush but keeping whole husks for sparging is to wet your grains first. Use about 100-150mls of water to 5kg, stir it in a bucket and let for 10mins. You want just enough water for the husks to soften but not wet the kernel. To much water will make a mess of your rollers.

Enjoy your new addiction.

Latest posts

Back