Grain Best Practices

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahlerisms

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've recently bought a mill through one of the bulk buys and I'm looking for some grain handling/storing best practices as I've only ever bought pre-milled stuff before and now I find myself with 200 kilos in my shed.

Can someone answer questions like

1. How long will grain keep in an unopened sack?
2. How long will grain keep in something reasonably air tight (buckets/etc)
3. How sensitive is grain to light?
4. I read that I shouldn't mill near my fermenting fridges but I'm not across why - what can be done to address this risk?
5. Any other 'best pratice' type stuff to be aware of? Am I going to kill myself breathing in grain dust?
6. How fine is too fine? I'm in BIABing and I don't need the husks to be whole to form my mash bed, is there a too fine?
7. Anything else

I'll try and remember to come back and edit this post so this thread can live on as a guide for other grain n00bs.

Thanks

Opened grain should last for about 12 months if stored airtight it will be better. I just store open sacks in the garage with no dramas just keep an eye out for rodents

As for the light sensitivity just dont store in direct sunlight but this is probably more common sense

Grain and grain dust carry bacteria which love to breed on fresh wort. JP says to mill outside your brewhouse to reduce the risk of infection

If you biab set your rollers to a credit card width or about 0.9 mm. Some biabers get good results from a finer grind, myself i just use the cc method with good results

Other than that, relax and have a homebrew

kahlerisms said:
Hi Guys

I've recently bought a mill through one of the bulk buys and I'm looking for some grain handling/storing best practices as I've only ever bought pre-milled stuff before and now I find myself with 200 kilos in my shed.

Can someone answer questions like

1. How long will grain keep in an unopened sack?
In the correct conditions, many years
2. How long will grain keep in something reasonably air tight (buckets/etc)
In the correct conditions, many years. ie same as sacks.
3. How sensitive is grain to light?
not sure, I keep mine away from it. Not sure about the light itself but the temp fluctuations associated with it are not good.
4. I read that I shouldn't mill near my fermenting fridges but I'm not across why - what can be done to address this risk?
in simple terms, grain has bacteria on it that will ferment out the sugar in the beer, ok if you want a lambic
5. Any other 'best pratice' type stuff to be aware of? Am I going to kill myself breathing in grain dust?
I get hay fever from the dust when milling, so I assume it may not be the best. Don't snort it and you should be ok
6. How fine is too fine? I'm in BIABing and I don't need the husks to be whole to form my mash bed, is there a too fine?
Depending on who you ask. Some say you will get husk astringency if you mill too fine, some say you don't. I personally think you do.
7. Anything else
Be good to your mum

I'll try and remember to come back and edit this post so this thread can live on as a guide for other grain n00bs.

Thanks

my 2c worth

I have grain in an opened sack (tied off) thats almost a year old. I keep it in a cool, dark, dry place and it's still sweet, nice and "crunchy" whenever I have a bite before I mill some more. +1 be good to your Mum

+1 for QLDKev's points.

I have grain that I bought in a bulk buy over 18months ago and its still crunchy. I keep mine in large food-safe containers with lids (old 14Kg Mayo tubs). Full sacks I keep in a 80L ( I think ) plastic dustbin from Bunnings.

To my disgust I recently opened a new bag of Marris Otter and it wasn't plastic lined. Some of the grain bugs were around the place but it seems the grain isn't as fresh because it's not air tight.

I probably had the bag for 3-4months before opening.

I'm now in a mad rush of Stouts, Amber, ESB style beers to use it up.

Now that my new mill is on the way this thread is just what I was after.

What is a good roller distance if I am mashing in a 20L rubbermaid? Anyone got any personal experience?

Thanks guys

Back