Grain And Grape Fridge Thermostat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry SJ it wasnt aimed at you. i just used your post as the lead on for the 240V devils advocate.

but yeah, if in doubt dont do it. its not worth it. I'll admit that i decided to play it safe and got a sparky to wire my fridgemate and tempmate connected to HLT element. none of it worked and I then redid it myself. but i was confident in what i was doing. plus i got a mate whos an electrical engineer over to oversee what i was doing.

Mjfs,

The temp controller you linked to is either heat or cool (not both), is analogue, does not read the current temp and costs
$119 - I have one and have used it extensively. Only advantage in my opinion is that no wiring is required.

The Tempmate (I have one of these too) is digital, easy to set the hysterias (sp?), reads current temp and costs $74.50. Heat and cool as well.

Tempmate (or equivalent) is a no brainer IMO.

Cheers,
smudge

I think what he is referring to is the compressor delay.

If the unit switches the fridge off and you say open the door at that point, warming the cabinet temp. With the analogue unit it will attempt to start the fridge compressor straight away, with a compressor delay there is a rule that it is not allow to restart the compressor for say 2 minutes from the last time it turned off. The issue with starting the compress immediately is the system is still pressurised, hence causes the compressor to start under a massive load causing it to burn out quicker.

QldKev
Correct QLDKev,
I do not believe the G& G does this and le's face it it will make your Fridge /Freezer last longer.

thanks guys, lots of opinions here which i will take in, at the end of the day i just want something to cool my fermenter down rather then brewing at 22-24 degrees. thanks for all your input. Ive only done 3 brews so far, so early days... i think I'll eventually get both a digital and analogue type temp controller, but for now i need to get a fridge! thanks again guys, i will return to this post when im ready to control the temperature.... cheers!

I have both the old analogue(G&G) and a digital tempmate and would recommend the digital tempmate. I find that I simply don't get the degree of control I want from the analogue controller that I do get from the tempmate.

Latest posts

Back