Grain And Grape Fridge Thermostat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjfs

Reaction score
hey people,

I'm looking at getting my fermenter out of the laundry and into the fridge and looking at temperature control. I've contemplated the fridgemate but im not too handy when it comes to eletronics and wiring and after reading some threads on here it could be a confusing situation.

I was looking at getting the fridge thermostat off the grain and grape site (linky). Has anyone got one? used one?, are they any good? are they reliable? any info would be appreciated. cheers :party: .

matt

hey people,

I'm looking at getting my fermenter out of the laundry and into the fridge and looking at temperature control. I've contemplated the fridgemate but im not too handy when it comes to eletronics and wiring and after reading some threads on here it could be a confusing situation.

I was looking at getting the fridge thermostat off the grain and grape site (linky). Has anyone got one? used one?, are they any good? are they reliable? any info would be appreciated. cheers :party: .

matt
Matt I have a fridgemate and tempmate.
My advice would be if you love your brewing and see it as an ongoing hobby spend the money and get a tempmate even if you have to pay someone to set it up for you and I would say it would cost much more than what you are looking at .
I am sure there would be someone around you that could do it or assist.
I put both mine together , they are not that hard.
If it is just pure convenience what you are looking at will definately work just not as good and nowhere near the flexibiltiy to use for other applications.
Only my opinion.

Agree with Woodmac.

If your not too handy, then get the fridgmate or tempmate, and take it to a sparky or elctronics repair shop with the instructions and ask them to set it up for you. I'd print a couple of pictures out of this site to take it along so they get the idea of what our going to use it for etc. It may end up costing a little more this way, but I beleive it won't be much more and will be a more suitable unit.

Fear_n_Loath

It's a really easy job. I forget where, but search and you will find a thread with pics of correct wirings etc. I did it myself, easy as pie.

jbowers,

It is easy, I agree, but not for everybody.

I have seen some very un-handy people lately, and have been astonished at how they stuff simple instructions up.

If someone is unsure and says they are not handy, then I would not suggest they try and set one up, which I think is the intention of the OP, MJFS would rather get an off the shelf item to be safe by the sounds if it.

But as earlier suggested, you can seek the right help and stay safe with the tempmate or fridgmate.

Fear_n_Loath

Thanks guys for your input, for now I think i might just get the off the shelf ready to use model and when im ready, up grade to the fridgemate. Cheers for your help guys.

Matt

Put a call out to other sparkies from Perth that that will do a 10 minute job for a six pack. I am sure if you can't find one on the forum then a friend of a friend will know a sparkie that will do a great job for beer.

Spend money on the right/best gear you can afford the first time. You will save money this way in the long run.

Drew

There is a fundamental differance. accuracy. One is digital and the other is dial driven. So the read out and set temp function differs in accuracy. If the sensors and probes are equally good (assume that) then u have more accuracy in a digital as u get exact numbers.

So.... Get a digital in my opinion. There's negigible cost differance between them if u get single purpose (ie either heating or cooling). Digital units that can do both heating AND cooling cost more.

I still think digital is better

get the fridgmate or tempmate, and take it to a sparky or elctronics repair shop with the instructions and ask them to set it up for you. I'd print a couple of pictures out of this site to take it along so they get the idea of what our going to use it for etc. It may end up costing a little more this way, but I beleive it won't be much more and will be a more suitable unit.

I've had my tempmate sitting in the box on a shelf for a few months now. Took it and a printout of the photos at Post 54 (tip of the hat to GumbyOne ;) ) down to the local electronics store. Cost me $60 for parts and was quoted $80 to put it all together. The bloke I was talking to then suggested to save the $80 I could put it together and then take it back to him where he will check it for me to make sure it was done correctly (cost-$0).

I do need a dremel (or similar) tool to finish the project now, but hey, can't have enough toys in the shed!

edit - spellink

I use the Grain and Grape fridge controller you mention. Hasn't failed on me yet.

Know a guy who also uses one and took out 1st place in a comp using it (can't remember the comp but may have been last year's VicBrew - was for an Aussie Ale). So yep I can assure you they're good.

Spoke to him about his controller before I got mine and he said it is reliable but can vary in temp around 2 degrees each way running a fridge in his brick garage. The fridgemate users I spoke to get up to 4 degrees in variation by comparison (spoke to 3 users prior). So a digital thingy won't make a huge difference, you'll just feel nicer pushing buttons versus a turning a dial. And this guy's quality beer pretty much sold the manual option for me, plus the idea of not having to wire or pay a sparky.

If you're looking to save more dough, maybe consider a dual manual controller, that are available from here (they can switch from cold to heat control: iBrew site - select 'Heating Devices Thermo Stat Control' For a lot of manual options - it's in the left hand scroll bar

Getting a dual controller is cheaper than buying a manual fridge controller and a manual heat pad controller.

It's a good idea to also grab something like a jaycar fridge thermometer also to monitor your temps - it's what I use. Here's a link:
Jaycar Fridge Thermometer
They have a magnet so they sit on the side of the fridge and give you an accurate readout of what your inside temp is doing.

Hopper.

P.S: On the fridgemate recommendation - most brewers I know are now upgrading to Tempmates :ph34r: So I would be heading in that direction if you're going to get something wired. There must be a reason people are making the trade-up (better features etc). Don't have one myself though.

I don't agree with this but each to their own and you can adjust a digital version to calibrate.
As Matt stated the primary function is for fermentation I would go Tempmate and you do not get anywhere near that variation from my experience.
Matt I know it seems daunting but there would be someone from Perth on here that could assist you .
If you were in Adelaide I would .
Having said this it looks as if you have mae up your mind anyway and that will do the job.
Sorry Matt one other thing that hasn't been covered that you should be aware of is both the digital versions will prolong the life of the fridge you are using by delaying the compressor use intervals!
Good luck !

Woody

I have a Dixell and the grain & grape one. I think they both do the same job, but I do love the digital display better.

QldKev

the other advantage with the frigemate or tempmate is they also give you a digital readout of the actual current temp in your fridge,the mech one you are relying on the accuricy of its factory callibration and if you damage the sensor tube it may not be repairable,as far as wiring a tempmate another alternitive is useing your local apprentiship tech school as a project for one of there elect apprentices[i've done this with mig welding needs]never cost anything except materials

Sorry Matt one other thing that hasn't been covered that you should be aware of is both the digital versions will prolong the life of the fridge you are using by delaying the compressor use intervals!

The G&G does this also - effectively switching the fridge on and off to maintain a constant temp. No difference on this point?

Hopper.

It's a really easy job. I forget where, but search and you will find a thread with pics of correct wirings etc. I did it myself, easy as pie.

This? http://helms-deep.cable.nu/~rwh/blog/?p=29

Quite easy indeed

Edit: I would go the Fridgemate any day, as you can switch it to heating if need be. The G&G one will only go below ambient, which doesn't help when it's 10 degrees

The G&G does this also - effectively switching the fridge on and off to maintain a constant temp. No difference on this point?

Hopper.

I think what he is referring to is the compressor delay.

If the unit switches the fridge off and you say open the door at that point, warming the cabinet temp. With the analogue unit it will attempt to start the fridge compressor straight away, with a compressor delay there is a rule that it is not allow to restart the compressor for say 2 minutes from the last time it turned off. The issue with starting the compress immediately is the system is still pressurised, hence causes the compressor to start under a massive load causing it to burn out quicker.

QldKev

Easy yes, if you know what your doing. Remember 240V can be deadly!!

Cheers SJ

Easy yes, if you know what your doing. Remember 240V can be deadly!!

Cheers SJ
playing devils advocate.....its not deadly if you have RCDs (safety switches) installed.
and its the amps that kill you not the voltage. so be even more careful when using 15AMP swtiches (normal wiring is 10AMP - bar certain appliances like ovens, hot water service, some air conditioning).

but yeah as per normal, dont screw round with electric ity if you dont know what your doing.
*waits for LeathalCorpse to find the thread and agree with the electricity kills part*

All the above is noted CM2 (even the Devils advocate) it's just a matter with these things, that if your not comfortable doing it, don't do it. One might suggest if you were baffled by the wiring diagram for these things, knowledge of RCD's and whether or not your circuits were protected by them may be a little lacking!

Cheers SJ

Latest posts

Back